Gearbox Waltzer!!!

I have a 110 defender 300. The week before last i carried out my end of winter service (engine oil, air filter and fuel filter). On my drive up the lane to check for leaks etc when I increased the revs I heard a noise similar to what the injectors make but a little louder (1st anxiety phase). Keeping an ear out I then had to take a trip to Derby, with the 'injector whooshing' noise becoming apparent when in low revs (slow moving traffic) I continued until I had to steadly slow and then changed from 5th to 3rd at which point I heard a bit of rotation clatter from under mid way (2nd anxiety phase). Yesterday with no further clattering but still with the 'injector whooshing' at low revs, I heard a sound similar to a 'siren at the waltzer' at high revs and a loss of power when moving from 3rd to 4th (3rd anxiety phase). Apologies for being a little long winded. Any thoughts on settling my nerves (gearbox I'm thinking). Many thanks.

Can't find any damage or splits to the turbo hose. However found bits of rubber in the air filter which fell out when I was inspecting (presuming from the dump valve on the filter that was degraded. Could these have made their way into the turbo charger and caused damage?

Have just taken the intake hose off the turbocharger and have found metal fragments at the end of the hose and damage to the the blades :( what I do not understand is upon rechecking the air filter I found similar pieces. Am very curious now, has anyone an idea as to how the pieces ended up so spread out? (The pieces appear to be all from the same object - flat, 5mm wide and semi circular) Many thanks