landrover 90 conversion discovery donor

hello I am new to this forum and need a little help and advice.

I got a F reg Defender with a 19j engine thats had seen better days, And have aquirred a galvanised 90 chassie with 200tdi engine brackets, If i get a 200tdi discovery complete, will engine ,gearbox ,transmissionbox ,and both axeles fit on to the

chassie without cutting it about.

Or could a 300tdi engine fit on to 200tdi brackets without cutting them as there seem to be a lot more of them about

Before you start considering a complete engine/gearboxes/axles swap, check out what VOSA say: when you're transplanting major components each one has a "points value" and if your post-transplant vehicle does not have enough "points" from the original vehicle you then have to go through the hassle of SVA and can end up with it being allocated a "Q"-plate.

If the chassis is brand new and you have proof then that would (I think) not be counted in the points system that Tanuki is talking about. But basically what you are doing in a round about way is putting a Defender shell onto another chassis/running gear and potentially this would be a completely different vehicle to what you originally started with.

As for engines, I believe that a 300Tdi has the holes to fit a 200Tdi engine mount so you can actually fit it into a 200Tdi chassis without having to weld on more brackets. This is only on the Discovery engine though, not the Defender one. I haven't just made that up, I have seen the additional bolt holes with my very own eyes, but I may have been seriously misinformed as to what they are for though. I am sure a grown up will be along soon to tell me what a plonker I am.

A new chassis in this case, if unused, will aquire the identity of the vehicle you are rebuilding as long as it is of the same spec, in this case a D90, and so retains the five points associated with the chassis during a rebuild. If the chassis has previously been used on another project, only then you will have SVA VIC issues.

You do need to score another three points to retain the 90's VIN. You can score two for each of: the steering system; the suspension; the transmission; both axles together; and one point for the original engine.

To fit the Discovery 200Tdi engine, you will need to swap its brackets with your 19J's. The transmission will be too long for the 90 chassis because of the Discovery's long bell housing, but you could swap that and the input pinion shaft with that from your 90's gear box to mate it up. The axles will be a straight swap, but you will need to swap more of the brake system, including the master cylinder and biasing valve in the rear lines because of the Discovery's rear disc brakes.

Just use your existing gearbox would be the easiest way. Put the Disco engine in, and swap the rear axle if you want disc brakes on the back but nothing else is worth changing.

Perhaps the transfer box for the higher ratio if you're wanting a higher cruise speed at the expense of a small bit of towing grunt.