Silicone Hose for 300tdi Intercooler

Hi experts

I'm looking at silicone hose kits for my 1995 defender 300tdi intercooler. they all seem to be either around £40-46, or £65-70 - the only difference that i can see is that the expensive ones have a fluorosilicone lining, and the retailers of the cheaper ones can't confirm wether theirs do or don't!

So are ebay £45 jobs ok, or do I pay more from someone like siliconhose.com?

thanks

FWIW, the boost hoses i used on my intercooler install on my A4 are standard silicone hoses. Flurosilicone can withstand higher temperatures and is more oil resistant, but the normal stuff does fine in most applications unless its running over or very near the exhaust manifold.

FWIW, the boost hoses i used on my intercooler install on my A4 are standard silicone hoses. Flurosilicone can withstand higher temperatures and is more oil resistant, but the normal stuff does fine in most applications unless its running over or very near the exhaust manifold.

ta very much

Hi,

I've never really understood why one needs silicone hoses. Since the turbo performance is controlled/regulated by the wastegate, it must be cheaper to re-route the air supply to the wastegate actuator. Instead of staying with the standard design of an air supply to the wastegate actuator from the turbo discharge (the small T-piece at the turbo discharge, take a supply from the intercooler outlet/inlet manifold. This results in your wastegate being controlled by actual inlet manifold pressure, regardless of pressure drops within the turbo discharge and intercooler. It appears that this could save you £40 - £70!

Or am I missing something?

Mike

i dont think theres any pressure drop issue to contend with from a piece of 2" rubber hose? Certainly not one thats going to be rectified swapping it for silicone.

For a standard vehicle, theres little to be gained from a good condition rubber hose, but if your rubber pipes knackered and you fancy a shiney replacement, silicone is fine. You could ofcourse simply buy a new genuine rubber hose.

I used them on my car because the intercooler was non standard, meaning the standard pipes had no hope of fitting and theres a wide range of easily purchasable silicone hoses in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Hi,

I've never really understood why one needs silicone hoses. Since the turbo performance is controlled/regulated by the wastegate, it must be cheaper to re-route the air supply to the wastegate actuator. Instead of staying with the standard design of an air supply to the wastegate actuator from the turbo discharge (the small T-piece at the turbo discharge, take a supply from the intercooler outlet/inlet manifold. This results in your wastegate being controlled by actual inlet manifold pressure, regardless of pressure drops within the turbo discharge and intercooler. It appears that this could save you £40 - £70!

Or am I missing something?

Mike

i'd love to know if anyone has done this. if you're right (and my mech eng knowledge is basically zero) then you can save a lot of people a lot of money! thanks

His fix is talking about a different issue?

Between the turbo and the inlet manifold you will get a pressure drop, due to the turbo having to force the air thru the intercooler and pipework. As standard the turbo sense line comes off a the turbo outlet, so if the turbo makes 15psi, and the intercooler and ducting drops 2psi, then your inlet manifold/engine only sees 13.

By moving the sense line to the inlet manifold, the turbo increases its output pressure until the manifold is at 15psi instead.

That has nothing to do with silicone hoses? Swapping the stock hoses for silicone wont change the pressure drop.