Brake refurb time :D

Scooby Jim

nice, whats the CFM average? ill be interested to know how it runs with your air tools as a comparison to mine

i have an old Ingersoll Rand compressor about 75L judging by the tank, from what i can see there are no plates on it just the sticker which says made for spaldings by IR. dont know the delivery on that but it seems good for impact guns, and spray guns but cant keep up with my orbitol sander which isnt really surprising as they use about 16CFM on full whack compared to the "average" 1/2" impact gun use of between 4 and 5. :)

nice, whats the CFM average? ill be interested to know how it runs with your air tools as a comparison to mine

i have an old Ingersoll Rand compressor about 75L judging by the tank, from what i can see there are no plates on it just the sticker which says made for spaldings by IR. dont know the delivery on that but it seems good for impact guns, and spray guns but cant keep up with my orbitol sander which isnt really surprising as they use about 16CFM on full whack compared to the "average" 1/2" impact gun use of between 4 and 5. :)

Its 14CFM, at 9-10BAR. Will be replacing the feed from the tank from a 1/4 inch fitting, to a 3/8 fitting. So for using the retractable air hose and regulator I have all 3/8, so the regulated air feed off the new compressor (has one off the tank, and one regulated near the pressure switch) will power smaller stuff like my air sander, tyre inflater, and spray guns.

I'm also going to attempt to use the old compressors cylinder as a twin setup, so new compressor feeding the old bottle so combined will be around 250-300 litres combined. May well melt the new motor, but one way to find out lol.

Tbh I'll not be a heavy user of the air tools, so as long as the compressor can keep up with occasional use of the guns I'll be ok.

But will let everyone know how it gets on. I wish I could find parts for this Atlas Copco compressor I have, as would be nice to have both going.

WP_20140320_001.jpg

is that 14cfm the compressor motor delivery or the output delivery,

if its the motor delivery that will run your impact guns no problem, even the 3/4 drive guns only use an average consumption of 6-12 depending

on load they use probably more like 20-25 CFM but how long do you really run an impact on load for? the general rule of thumb in workplaces seems to be 4CFM delivery per technician so that should be plenty especially with the extra reserve of the other tank, the 14cfm should fill the tanks relatively quickly too

i suspect my compressor probably produces between 4 and 8CFM but have no way of knowing for sure

is that 14cfm the compressor motor delivery or the output delivery,

if its the motor delivery that will run your impact guns no problem, even the 3/4 drive guns only use an average consumption of 6-12 depending

on load they use probably more like 20-25 CFM but how long do you really run an impact on load for? the general rule of thumb in workplaces seems to be 4CFM delivery per technician so that should be plenty especially with the extra reserve of the other tank, the 14cfm should fill the tanks relatively quickly too

i suspect my compressor probably produces between 4 and 8CFM but have no way of knowing for sure

P.S. maybe my tank is 150L then if thats a 100L? i dunno haha

Thats the pump, but was a bit unsure as it said piston, with this being a twin piston is that doubled??

God knows I don't care as long as it works lol.

You should be able to work it out (volume) with a tape measure and some maths. Lucky for me mine has a nice sticker :D

I would imagine that is 14cfm in total as thats quite a lot of flow especially for that size compressor. looks like it will be plenty though! i only ever need more when using my sander but they are hungry!

I would imagine that is 14cfm in total as thats quite a lot of flow especially for that size compressor. looks like it will be plenty though! i only ever need more when using my sander but they are hungry!

Well hopefully, it will be ok.

Have had an email reply from Atlas Copco (who made my large compressor), and they are putting me in contact with their regional parts distributor/stock holder. So hopefully there may be able to get the big one back up and running :D, fingers crossed for Atlas Copco to come through, as all these big companies are all about sustainability now, and repairing older stock as opposed to throw away and get new :D

I have been busy whilst working (parked up in my Artic waiting to deliver/load) and have sourced a replacement loom for my `72.

As mine was carp to start off with and then my brothers attempt to "help" has had it's toll.

The loom is from a "Land Rover Series 3 1979 SWB Station Wagon, 2.25 Petrol. Wiring all carefully removed, many bulbs/relay units left attached, in Very Good condition. There is also the rear end loom, this will need some connectors replacing, as they were snagged being pulled through the chassis, and some earths refused to undo."

Loom.jpg

So my plan for today (Friday) is this.

Go and get a compressor fitting changed from 1/4 inch to 3/8ths, so I can run my larger hose.

Buy a new battery for my Scooby for MOT Sat morning (not looking forwards as its been laid up a fair few months whilst I rebuilt the engine).

Change number plates on my Scooby for legal ones :D

Fit air fitting to new compressor and pump up tyres on Scoob.

Go and collect the Blasting cabinet, so I can crack on with this brake refurb (seems to be taking MONTHS).

So progress today.

New battery - DONE.
Get compressor fittings - DONE and FITTED.
Change number plates - DONE.

Pump up tyres on Scoob - DONE.

Pick up blasting Cabinet - DONE.

Let the FUN begin :D, after the Scooby's MOT tomorrow :(

Blasting Cabinet.

WP_20140328_008.jpg

WP_20140328_007.jpg

WP_20140328_009.jpg

Well last night went to move the Impreza after finishing everything, and the bloody clutch slave popped out of the clutch (pull clutch). And the circlip that holds it in place has a very lightweight easily broken cage, well thats popped off, so Gearbox off to replace. So I didn't take it for MOT lol.

BUT I did crack on with my backing plates, one done, one remaining.

WP_20140329_001.jpg

WP_20140329_002.jpg

WP_20140329_003.jpg

WP_20140329_004.jpg

WP_20140329_005.jpg

WP_20140329_006.jpg

WP_20140329_007.jpg

WP_20140329_008.jpg

WP_20140329_009.jpg

WP_20140329_011.jpg

Now to do the other one!!

Kurust has gone off so I painted the first up, whilst I did the other.

WP_20140329_012.jpg

WP_20140329_013.jpg

WP_20140329_014.jpg

WP_20140329_015.jpg

WP_20140329_017.jpg

WP_20140329_018.jpg

Just waiting for the other side now, as I've media blasted it, and applied Kurust. So waiting for Kurust to go off and paint the backing plate.
Then when dry I can start assembly of the shoes, then move onto sorting the drums.

Rear Drums done. :D Just leaves the fronts to do, but they are currently fitted, so will need a dry day to remove.

Wet Kurust.

WP_20140404_001.jpg

WP_20140404_002.jpg

WP_20140404_003.jpg

My drying lamps :D, moved them closer to dry quicker 2 x 500watts :D

WP_20140404_004.jpg

Kurust all dry.

WP_20140404_005.jpg

WP_20140404_006.jpg

And all painted with Hammerite.

WP_20140404_007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's a year issue, but mi 109 brakes' cylinders were all horizontal. I'm trying to think of how any of the parts could be fitted to get mounting angles like yours but none come to mind.

I don't know if it's a year issue, but mi 109 brakes' cylinders were all horizontal. I'm trying to think of how any of the parts could be fitted to get mounting angles like yours but none come to mind.

There is a possibility that the backing plates could be the wrong way around, o/s on the n/s??

Would it make much difference with them being at an angle, as both have the same angle towards the rear.

I have fitted the passenger front drum, and plumbed it in.

BUT the bugger will not turn easily, I have to put a bar in the wheel and even then its a struggle!!

The adjusters are all the way off, the cylinders have no fluid, I have gone over the inside of the drum with a flappy disk on an angle grinder.
The drum just does not want to go over the shoes :(

Something is most definitely wrong here :(

And one last thing, when LR say LEFT and RIGHT for the brake parts which side is the Left and the Right?? As it depends on your perspective.

Anyways pics.

WP_20140417_007.jpg

WP_20140417_006.jpg

WP_20140417_005.jpg

WP_20140417_004.jpg

Having removed the drum from the above brake now, there is a definite problem, as the shoe is catching the drum, and I have rub marks, on the leading and trailing edges, as if the shoes aren't round :unsure:

WP_20140417_008.jpg

WP_20140417_009.jpg

WP_20140417_010.jpg

WP_20140417_011.jpg

Any thoughts??