RFC Portugal

TOR4x4

You all made Shaun and myself feel very welcome. You have a great country and even greater people which made a really good event. We are both looking forward to a return trip.

Adrian

p.s. is that your car under water in the other post?

you'd never see me doing anything like that :D

Hello Adrian and Shaun, that is my car under water in the 2004 RFC Murça. I stayed there 30m, but there was no fish.... :D It was the last SS on Sunday morning. I had to turn off the engine, becouse the water got in the snorkel by the top. When i got the car out, and turn on the key, the lights look like a Christmas Tree lights. I post some more pictures of my Submarine Defender.

post-2052-1161937736_thumb.jpg

post-2052-1161937828_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well we poped the 'pods' ARB apart and as expected found this :

cage4.jpg

I will order one on Monday and get it fabricated in steel, doesn't look too tricky,

Did I say that ?

it's taken ages, first we looked at machining it from solid ali, then making from round pipe with bits added, then we decided to have it laser cut and rolled then welded up with other bits, the photo shows our fabricated one and a new plastic one :

cage1.jpg

I don't think it looks too bad, certainly not worth tearing your ARB apart to fit but if either you are building a high spec motor to compete in and want to rule out this weak point or if you have suffered the inconvenience of this failure then it may be worth looking at, the genuine one is only £ 14 + VAT, I think ours will be about £ 60 + VAT buts it's more about the hassle of changing it if broken than the money.