Aldon Amethyst Mappable Ignition

Raggylad

Does anybody know anything about the Aldon Amethyst mappable ignition ?

Website here: http://www.aldonamethyst.co.uk/

I ask becuse:

- I'm happy with carbs on my 3.5 V8 (have just replaced k******ed Strombergs with brand new SU HIF44s)

- I've been considering going the MJ route to get better running overall and dual mapping for petrol & LPG

- I already have an Aldon Ignitor module replacing points in my distributor & the Amethyst is designed to work with it

- No need for a trigger wheel, coil packs, EDIS, etc (uses existing distributor & coil) so simpler to set up

- Not hugely fussed about ultimate waterproofing; I don't usually go wading or swimming

Amethyst seems pretty new on the block & I can't find many views of it online. The Ignitor module is good kit and has been 100% reliable for 7 years/50,000 miles now - so I'm tempted ! Downside is that there don't seem to be any V8 base maps yet - but not beyond the wit of man (or even me) to write some ?

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

The whole point about ditching the dizzy is to get rid of it's vagueness, having a crank sensor gives you bang on timing and response, therefore any fancy ignition system, still using the dizzy, is in my opinion completely against the grain!

It doesn't exude quality for £200, a hacked up Maplins project box.

You can run MJ in that fashion I believe (it's a cut-down MS at the end of the day, and MS can run from a dizzy, points, trigger wheel, phases of the moon...) so it might be worth checking the full MJ/MS manual. You can also run it so it fires a single coil old-style & lets the dizzy cap distribute the sparks, it just does the timing and gives you the ignition-amp effect.

However, there are good reasons no-one makes cars with distributors anymore...

Should it be of interest I've got an MJ-Lite-Jr here (EDIS style) built & ready to go, built it yonks ago for someone who never came back to collect it (unfortunately didn't pay for it either...) I'm sure Nige could sort you out with the rest of the puzzle.

Thanks for all the comments (which are more or less reflected over on the V8 Forum).

As Nige knows, I'm part way down collecting together the components of a MJ system. I saw this Amethyst thing mentioned on another forum (Minis !) and wanted to check out views of it (there aren't many out there on the web) as it seemed a little too good to be true (!) before I committed more cash to the MJ project.

Fridge - you have a PM about the MJ module.

Nick

I agree with the other chaps on this one - I am just about to fit MJ to my Sunbeam Alpine.

The thought of never having to bend into an engine bay to adjust points ever again, is rather appealing; or for that matter rotor arms which don't work, or carp condensers which fail after a short time and knowing that the timing will be spot on forever!

Cheers Charlie