tuning a 2.25 petrol

n.r.g97

I get fed-up with the queues of Luddites which seem to form on that 'Other LR froum' - all spouting utter rot.  CR9:1 is not high by modern standards. however there is a penalty. High CR requires higher quality fuel and accurate ignition. After that, and up to the point of pre-ignition, it's free-power at any rpm.

Low-end torque comes from the highest CR the combustion-chamber copes with. Unfortunately, whatever Mr Turner says, ever thicker head-gaskets do not give more low-end power. If this worked modern engines would have lower and lower CRs. As an an aside, if the head-gasket is going to fail, it's gong to fail, If it blows at 11:1 lowering CR to 7:1 won't help. CR won't be a factor. Greater thermal-efficiency is.

A big valve head grants a better breathing engine, and will deliver more 'talks' at any rpm. If this were not true, modern engines would not be designed to breathe as well as they do. Getting air in the thing is the challenge, once done, controlling it becomes the trick.

Modern engines use half the fuel, yet deliver twice the power and last double the miles for a reason.

As FF says "Once you've got fuel & sparks under computer control you can do anything"

Get that air in, and control it. Let the idiots put their money down to say anything else, and I (and I suspect FF) will be happy to empty their pockets.

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1