Vinyl Wrapping a Defender 110 in Matt Black

A fellow laner had mentioned to me that he had seen Vinyl wrapped wings on a few laning Land Rovers. Theory is it should protect your paint form the worst of the brambles, especially if you’re driving something a bit newer.

My Landy is going to be part of a display at a festival event soon so when someone suggested they wrap my Defender 110 I thought I’d give it a go so the old girl was looking her best.

Turned out great and I love the look of it. Jury is out as to whether it will protect it or she’ll shed her skin like a big black snake on the first thorny bush!!

I can't imagine it's a cheap process when it's done as thoroughly as that.

Nice 'before' footage of you coming out the bombhole on strata by the way.

And another by the way: if you get chance to reply to my pm from a while back - it'd be really helpful :)

• 8 months later...

You could have saved a lot of effort by sticking it in a spray booth for 1/2 an hour with the temp wound up a bit, comes off very easily and no chance to lift the substrate.

I was fresh out of them in my garage at home! Have you done that before have you? I was finding it very hard to get an optimum temp. Slightly to warm and it stretched and tore and that's when I ended up with lots of little bits instead of it coming off in sheets. I found it better to warm a panel at a time. If you did the whole car by the time you got one panel off the rest would have cooled and stuck possibly even harder like the edge seals were...........possibly

No I understand that, but it wasn't worth saying next time you do this....... as you probably won't.

So warm the whole thing up and just peel it off in one go, prob have it done in 30 to 40 minutes, so maybe worth hiring the time in a local shop.

Have a look at a sky van when its end of lease.

I see what you mean but I think the Landy is a different propositioned. So many awkward bits and lots of bits bolted on over the vinyl. I can see how a van would be unwrapped like that. It might have helped on the bonnet and larger flat sections. There just aren't that many!

Well that's the way I,d have tackled it but let's not get too wrapped up in that ..

Its an interesting technique and ime seems more predictable than the paste mix to make a matt finish.

There is an A4 near here that's been done, mixed opinions on how it looks, not for me but some like it which is what matters.

I get an almost irresistible urge to do noughts and crosses on it when I walk past with the dog :-)

No it makes sense and I can see what you mean.................dodgy joke aside!! :-)

Yeah picking matt was the problem. I think a gloss finish would have been better. The matt looked great new and clean but was a git to clean. Suited the defender I think, especially with all the bolt on black kit I had!

I used to paint all of my LR matt green, such an easy paint to get a half reasonable finish on less than perfect panels- flat enamel olive drab from a local mixer. A bit of paraffin on a rag had it like new

Then it slowly dawned on me that if it had a harder gloss finish it wouldn't look as bad as quickly so I painted a S1 - the one in my avatar - with a 2K and it just looked great for ages. As above minor marks would polish out but you couldn't really see them.

I reckon your 110 looked spot on in the matt finish, but I think I know how much effort would be needed to keep it looking that way.

My current 90 rebuild was always planned to have a nice finish and it won't be going down any hard lanes :-)

I used to paint all of my LR matt green, such an easy paint to get a half reasonable finish on less than perfect panels- flat enamel olive drab from a local mixer. A bit of paraffin on a rag had it like new

Then it slowly dawned on me that if it had a harder gloss finish it wouldn't look as bad as quickly so I painted a S1 - the one in my - avatar with a 2K and it just looked great for ages. As above minor marks would polish out but you couldn't really see them.

I reckon your 110 looked spot on in the matt finish, but I think I know how much effort would be needed to keep it looking that way.

You'd be surprised. After a while I discovered that back to black aerosol bumper stuff or wd40 of all things got it spot on. It was jet washing the first coating off that was the chore. It took 4 goes at jetwashing each time to get the dusty residue off.