D2 radio upgrade

reb78

I;ve never found a clear answer to this question so thought i'd ask here. With the correct leads etc, can i just replace the radio unit in my D2 without any hassle?

I;ve heard stories about having to bypass the LR amp if fitted. Have people made a fuss about a simple job, or is there more to it than a straight swap with the right ISO leads like most other cars i;ve had?

In the defender, i will happily cut wires and see what works. The D2 hasnt been messed about with though, so i would rather keep it as simple and as 'plug n play' as possible. My experience of radio units in other cars has been that they come with a universal ISO connector and then buying one specific to the car into which you are fitting the radio means the whole setup is plug n play. Is this the case for the D2, or is it more complicated?

It depends which stereo is fitted I think. The basic models have two 8 pin ISOs, plug in any wireless of choice. I've never had the head unit out of my 11 speaker highline stereo, but I suspect it has additional connectors, and I suspect that if you don't connect them, you just end up with something nearer the standard speaker setup ie some of them don't work, but I've not actually tried it. Mine has an amp under the seat but whether it drives all the speakers, or just the sub, I'm not sure.

First u will need a compatible head unit that excepts the signal from the steering wheel controls and also fitted with a pre-amplified output for each of amps, u have, then u will need a specific ISO patch lead or two (which are available) to interface your head unit to the vehicle. So yes plug & play and no cutting of wires.

You may have an existing amplifier for the cab loudspeakers and also one for the bass amp in the back door depending on the model spec of your disco.

Thanks BM. I need to double check, but I think mine is the same setup as yours.

My CD changer doesn't work and lots of headunits have Bluetooth functionality these days, so it seems a good time to replace the tape unit with a Bluetooth aftermarket headunit. I just didn't know if the amp was bypassed, if it took a different fees, or if everything just plugged in and works. I want to try and get all the kit together to do it in one go.

Mine's got tweeters in the A post, two speakers in each of the four side doors, and a subwoofer in the tail door. Amp(s) under the left hand seat and CD autochanger under the RH seat. Like you, I've often thought it would be good to have Bluetooth and USB, but in reality I almost never use the vehicle now anyway and it sits in the garage most of the time, so I can't be bothered to do anything about it!