Heater Mounting

Attaching the heater onto the bulkhead today. Am I correct in saying that its only attached by 2 M8 screws? Seems a bit odd yet the parts catalogue seems to confirm. I notice there appears to be a bracket at the bottom of heater but none of the holes appear to line up with anything on the bulkhead. Should there be foam or something between this bracket and the bulkhead as it appears it may rattle metal to metal against the bulkhead?? Very flimsy design.

Two M8 screws into rivnuts in the bulkhead at the top. These are the mirror pair of two on the N/S that secure the upper part of the steering column, they swap on LHD vehicles. There are also two (I think) bolts through that lower bracket into the footwell. On mine it just bolted straight up against the face of the footwell as you say, no gasket there. Bolts go through into inside of vehicle and are a fiddle to fasten/undo on your own!

There is obviously a gasket between the heater box and the bulkhead around the air orifice.

Aha! Thanks guys. My next problem is my TD5 bulkhead very strangely does not have these 3 holes...

Oh well. Guess i need to drill my own somehow. Looks like its gonna be tricky to mark where the holes should be drilled...... :(

Phil

Land Rover's assembly methods being what they are it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they are marked/drilled when the heater is being fitted due to variations in perhaps the bulkhead, heater or both.

One would hope not of course, but it's certainly possible with these hand-built cars.

Land Rover's assembly methods being what they are it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they are marked/drilled when the heater is being fitted due to variations in perhaps the bulkhead, heater or both.

One would hope not of course, but it's certainly possible with these hand-built cars.

I doubt that.

Many years ago now I bought a brand-new bulkhead for my 90 and it came pre-drilled for everything. The biggest problem I found was that as the bulkhead was bare, it didn't have the M8 captive-nuts fitted for the steering column top bracket or heater. The holes stamped in the panels were much larger than for normal M8 captive-nuts (even the ones I bought from LR in desparation) so in the end I fitted M10's which were a perfect fit for the holes and just ment that the relevant parts were attached using larger bolts than necessary.