Transmission Lubricants

Hi,

I have a 1999 Defender V8 110 station wagon, it is essentally a Td5 with a V8 dropped in for export. It is due for a change of oils in the drive train and I have been checking as to the oils I should get. The gearbox and transfer case are sraightforward with Texaco MTF94 and Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 respectively. I could go with Hypoid gear oil for the axles but I have seen a recommendation on this site to use Syntrax instead. Any comments welcome!

Cheers,

Del

I have stuck with standard 75w 90 oils in both diffs and that has done me several hundred thousand miles without problem. I also change it every 12000. Unless experiencing extreme temperatures hot and cold I don't personally think there is a particular benefit in diffs. I have experienced leaks from the Txfr box since using the Syntrax (have to with the Rocky Mountain overdrive) as it is very thin when cold.

In extreme heat or cold then a full synthetic has several advantages . i have used Redline synthetic in my diffs on my 110 V8 csw for years . Less drag when cold , copes with high temps better, long service interval. works as a lubricant when water contaminated , as it doesnt emulsify . JMHO