Clutch pedal closer to bottom

jameshub

I noticed for about 2 weeks that its become more difficult to get into 1st gear on my LT77 gearbox and only yesterday I noticed that my clutch pedal needs to be pushed down much further before it engages the clutch now + the bit point is much sharper. So I checked the hydraulic reservoir and found it was very low (below MIN), although I can't see any leaks.....

Would this be the cause of soft pedal and difficulty to get in 1st gear (which only happens say twice in every 10)

Anything else to check and I don't want to pay out for a new clutch!

Top the fluid up and if not better, give it a bleed, yes it could be the cause of not being able to engage first gear easily, and a longer pedal.

How old are the master and slave cylinders?

I've had the Landy for about a year and they've not been changed since, but no idea when they were changed before.

How long should they last?

Years and years, but only if a decent make....

Good thing to check is the colour of the fluid, if black then the seals are breaking up..... which isn't good news. As I say, top it up and see what happens, every now and then I find the lightweight with no clutch fluid in it, and no pedal at all, top it up and pump a few times and it's fine :)

Years and years, but only if a decent make....

Good thing to check is the colour of the fluid, if black then the seals are breaking up..... which isn't good news. As I say, top it up and see what happens, every now and then I find the lightweight with no clutch fluid in it, and no pedal at all, top it up and pump a few times and it's fine :)

awesome advise as always, thanks mate

IF it is seals, i.e. you top it up, try it, bleed it and bleed it, and still no good, then yes it is replacement time, and often if you replace one, the other follows suit so may as well do both at the same time!

It can be not worth changing seals sometimes, if the bore is very scored or corroded, but I have done it successfully a few times, inspect and make a decision... for an easy life, just replace the whole thing :)

IF it is seals, i.e. you top it up, try it, bleed it and bleed it, and still no good, then yes it is replacement time, and often if you replace one, the other follows suit so may as well do both at the same time!

It can be not worth changing seals sometimes, if the bore is very scored or corroded, but I have done it successfully a few times, inspect and make a decision... for an easy life, just replace the whole thing :)

they are pretty cheap anyway, so might be best to replace them

If there are no leaks and he’s done as you advised and still a problem, it may be the master cylinder rod needs adjusting or (hope not) slave cylinder rod starting to go through the release bearing fork.

If there are no leaks and he’s done as you advised and still a problem, it may be the master cylinder rod needs adjusting or (hope not) slave cylinder rod starting to go through the release bearing fork.

I filled the master cylinder up with DOT 4 yesterday evening and pumped the pedal a few times. It definitely seems better and more resistance. I've give it a bleed when I can get someone to help me, then fingers crossed all solved.

if not, i'll just replace the cylinders.

BTW - I've never had a clutch go on me, so what are the symptoms for this

And they only last for years and years if you replace the fluid every 24 months at least..........sorry Bowie69 I had to add that, its the water in the fluid that causes the problems, the cylinders start to corrode and the seals start to wear on the rough surface.