swivel joint dilema

discodave

hello there, can anyone tell me if a pair of complete swivel joints from a 1988 range rover will fit my 1995 300 tdi disco? my balls are corroded and i'm leaking oil but cant decide if it would be better just to bite the bullit and get new ball kits and start emptying my bank account in ernest, does that sound a bit off colour?, or try for some second hand jobs! (oh dear). :blush: i'm new to the joys and nightmares of land rover ownership and would be grateful for any advice. cheers.

welcome to the forum Dave.

i think that the swivel balls themselves will fit as far as i know the axle cases didnt change. however the CVs/shafts etc will be different. the disco has 24spline as far as im aware. so they wont fit unless you get the disco diff too.

Dave, it might work but you'll probably need to get a set of swivel housings to suit and then bolt on the original stubaxles, hubs etc.

My advice if funds are short is to repair your corroded swivles using a fibreglass repair kit and then just replace the seals. Nice and cheap and it works if you do it carefully.

Personally I'd replace with new - short term fixes generally work out more expensive and you end up doing the job twice.

Paddocks have an offer on what they call "complete" swivel kits at the mo - new teflon swivels and all the seals/shims you need - about £50/£60 a side I think...? (no, I don't work for them!)

You know then that it's been done, and is one less thing to worry about.

:)

Matt

thanks for the advice chaps, :i-m_so_happy: i've also been into famous four in louth lincolnshire and had a word with them and i think i'll let them do it. i dont have the time at the moment to start experimenting with second hand bits that may or may not fit and although i liked the sound of the cheap repair, i'll need the disco to be ship shape and ready to go to work in wales at the end of january and i'll be abroad till then. :D (now i've bought the disco i canni aford to stay in the uk all winter) soooooo, i'm gonna have new swivels, new disks on the front as well while it's there and hope that nothing else rears it's ugly head whilst it's in bits. so once again ta for your advice, i'll let you know how many limbs i have left after the work is done :wacko:

Empty the oil out and use one shot grease. It's what land rover did when they realised they had a problem.

Oil everytime, except at my 110's last service one of the new guys stripped my swivels & put horrid grease in them :angry: must put some good fresh EP90 in them tomorrow. :i-m_so_happy:

If your offroading in deep water often, then grease may not be for you, but as a solution to leaky swivels it's better than having nowt in the swivels. I'd rather have a sh1tty emulsion of grease and water than no ep90 cos it's all leaked out.

swivels won't fit BTW they'll be for railko bush rather than the bearing type swivel housings you have.

you'd have to replace from the end of the axle tube outwards to use them, plus check if the swivel housing is a 6 bolt or a 7 as you currently have