300tdi oil level

Hi all!

So im new to the forums and to defenders... A little help though - I really want to get involved in them and learn all there is to do to them and maintain!

Ok.

So I did something myself!

Got engine hot, used wynns engine flush drained oil, removed filter.

Topped up new filter with fresh oil and put on.

Then put in around 6 litres of oil. Ran it around a bit and tested oil level on flat with hot engine turned off. Oil is showing about 2-3mm on the very bottom of the dipstick and nowhere near the 'low' mark.

Most forums and haynes agree about the 6 litres of oil. Mate seems to think maybe its an incorrect dipstick - bought from some clay pits in cornwall. Any way of measuring the stick and level marks to find out if its correct or am i missing something with the amount of oil needed?

Thanks!!!

I remember looking into this topic on various occasions after forgetting what the true level is. and I believe the manual is a bit miss leading.

The simple thing is to fill the oil when cold until it sits at the correct marks on the dip stick. when you think you're close you back off and slow it up to wait for the oil to actually get to the sump, slow patience works well.

Then once you think you have it right, go for a run, leave it to cool and re-check, you may find its gone down a bit due to air bubbles etc settling out, so you just top up accordingly with engine cold.

I was taught as an apprentice to check the oil with oil round the engine. ie in the pistons, con rods, big ends and main bearings. That can't be done with a cold engine as the oil has drained down into the sump leaving the engine dry.

Cold engine - turn it over, turn it off... voila... engine primed still cold.

Thank you so much for your help guys! I bought two 5 litre bottles with increments on. Have now done a child's check and topped up when primed and it took 7.8 litres to get it mid way between low and high.

Sorry for being a n00b but I'd rather get stuck in myself than pay someone else!

Going to do oil change on gearbox and transfer box next. Wish me luck! :s

Thank you so much for your help guys! I bought two 5 litre bottles with increments on. Have now done a child's check and topped up when primed and it took 7.8 litres to get it mid way between low and high.

Sorry for being a n00b but I'd rather get stuck in myself than pay someone else!

Going to do oil change on gearbox and transfer box next. Wish me luck! :s

:i-m_so_happy: good luck, but you wont need it.