Squealing noise at low speed

Will1970

Any loose belts on the engine will squeal, but I found that the belt on my runabout used a scream when I loaded up the electrics (AC, blower on, lights and stereo).

Could be worth checking the belts for excessive deflection (how far you can push the belt with your finger)

Check the condition of the drive-belts on the front of the engine: if they are slack they will squeal under conditions of high-load (like full excursion of the steering, when the PAS pump is working hard).

Once a belt has been "squealed" a bit, the surface will become burned and polished - reducing its grippiness. Avoid the temptation to wind the tension up until it stops squealing: the excess tension needed can seriously shorten the life of other accessories driven by the belt.

Fit a new belt - and while you're at it check any tensioner-pulleys for 'wobbliness'. If in doubt, replace. They're cheap compared with the 'time-cost 'of being stuck at the side of some remote mountain B-road in the snow at midnight on a Sunday because your old tensioner has just spat all its ball-bearings out.