Replacing an auto with a manual box

Chris Davies

Hi, I'm wanting to replace a range rover autobox with a manual box (mated to a V8). Not quite sure what autobox I have though, its a 4 speed with borg warner TB and vacuum operated diff lock.

So questions are

1)what autobox do I have

2) will any of the manual boxes available be a straight swap( i.e fit on the same GB mounts and have the same length propshafts. Failing that which one might be the easier swap.

V8 manual boxes that I am aware of are . . LT95, LT85, LT77 and R380

Cheers for any info

Chris

Sounds like it. Unless its a 4.6 ? The LT77 long and short gearstick (V8 spec), and R380 (v8 spec) will bolt straight in using your existing transfer box, and I am 99% sure the LT85 will too, although this would be a "long gearstick" only

If you want to change the BW transfer box for a LT230, you will need a different front propshaft.

Obviously you will need the appropriate flywheel and clutch for the 'box plus all the hydraulics and pedal etc

Sounds like it. Unless its a 4.6 ? The LT77 long and short gearstick (V8 spec), and R380 (v8 spec) will bolt straight in using your existing transfer box, and I am 99% sure the LT85 will too, although this would be a "long gearstick" only

If you want to change the BW transfer box for a LT230, you will need a different front propshaft.

Obviously you will need the appropriate flywheel and clutch for the 'box plus all the hydraulics and pedal etc

Its a 3.5 V8. So I would need a new flywheel as well?

Vacuum operated diff lock on a BW? :huh:

I think so but quite prepared to be wrong :unsure:

TB does say BW on it. Hi/low lever is just hi/low no difflock option.

I'm quite new to V8's in general and very new to auto boxes so haven't a clue really.

Could anyone give me a brief overview of the auto boxes found in older RRC's

This is all in an old skool RR hybrid trialler so a V8 manual box from a 90/110 would actually help a little as it might bring the gearstick forward a bit so I suppose it opens up my options a little.

ZF HP22 !

We changed from an LT95 to auto and am pleased with it for trialling as it'll change down up banks. So I'll make an attempt to change your mind :)

Auto doesn't really have a flywheel, it's just a starter ring. It'll need a clutch pedal assembly as well. I'm pretty sure it needs different crank bolts as well. I think you need a donor truck for an easy life.