leaf spring conversion on coil axle Diff U-bolt

jad

Currently doing a leaf spring conversion on some axles and its all going pretty well.

I am using military shackles on the front so I can use the standard defender/disco caster angle on the front axle and the steering bar can clear the springs. The one thing I am not sure about is the U-bolt on the front axle next to the diff. As we have rotated the axle the extra casing at this part of the axle means the U bolt cant be rotated round to fit into the plate they normally bolt to. Is there a standard solution for this? i have looked round the common threads on this conversion but cant find anything that talks about this directly.

Can any one give me a hand or point me in the direction of the conversation I have missed? I was thinking maybe a larger U bolt from another vehicle or cutting a U bolt in half and welding it to the axle casing in the correct location but was not sure about this....

Thanks for your help

Jad

Make something up to suit.....

Do not weld a U bolt to the axle casing thats not the correct solution.

You could also consider reversing they way things are done - ie fit the U bolt around the leaf spring and fabricate some mounts on the axle tube so that the threads are at the top of the tube. Have a look at how the guys fit volvo portal axles to their leaf sprung landrovers and it'll give you some ideas.

Jon

I welded 2 square blocks to the axle case and spring perch. These were drilled and tapped to take studs. The one behind the axle was incorporated into the lower mount for the shock.

attachicon.gifPDR_0419.JPG

attachicon.gifPDR_0421.JPG

attachicon.gifPDR_0423.JPG

Early G60 Nissan Patrols used this method, and when the studs broke they were a real PITA to deal with in the bush. How about welding a bracket onto the axle with shorter blocks with plain unthreaded holes so that nuts and bolts can be used ?