Brake pedal travel

Sharpe

Afternoon Guys

Recent MOT failure on my 1989 2.5TD 19J 90 CSW, owned for four years, did ALOT of work for first MOT (but nothing on brakes). Sorted everything else other than the excess brake pedal travel.

Just about to bleed the brakes as I believe this is the problem, some months ago my warning light came on and I "topped" up the brake fluid which had emptied the cylinder (thus assuming air has now got in!!). Question comes in two parts.

1. Had a quick look at bleed nipples which have different sized bleed nuts - assume previous owner has only replaced 1 side at a time. What size nut is on the "newer" replacements?

2. Bought a e-zee bleed one way kit, but doesn't fit over one of the nipples - is this just because this is the old one is that old that they are not used anymore?

Cheers

Alan

Afternoon Guys

Recent MOT failure on my 1989 2.5TD 19J 90 CSW, owned for four years, did ALOT of work for first MOT (but nothing on brakes). Sorted everything else other than the excess brake pedal travel.

Just about to bleed the brakes as I believe this is the problem, some months ago my warning light came on and I "topped" up the brake fluid which had emptied the cylinder (thus assuming air has now got in!!). Question comes in two parts.

1. Had a quick look at bleed nipples which have different sized bleed nuts - assume previous owner has only replaced 1 side at a time. What size nut is on the "newer" replacements?

2. Bought a e-zee bleed one way kit, but doesn't fit over one of the nipples - is this just because this is the old one is that old that they are not used anymore?

Cheers

Alan

Excess pedal travel is also caused by inadequate adjustment of the rear brake shoes.

As a guide:

1. If you pump the pedal, and the pedal goes rock hard, it is likely to be a rear brake shoe adjustment problem.

2. If you pump the pedal, and the pedal still feels 'spongy' then there is likely to be air in the system.

It is of course possible to have both situations.

The other thing that can cause excess pedal travel is the pedal free play which may need adjusting at the master cylinder.

If the rear brake shoes haven't been adjusted in 4 years, it is likely that they need adjusting anyway (they are not self adjusting).

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff.