windscreen seal leak advice

Hi,

I have had the windscreen seal and windscreen renewed on my landrover defender by a local independant.... about six month ago

I took it back about two month ago as there was a leak at the bottom left hand corner which gathers at the bottom of the passenger door this seemed to pool there after a heavy downpour, it is usually parked on a tilt they put some flexible sealant on it, i may add that they really, really struggled to get the windscreen in!

Question is after heavy downpours it still leaks badly from around this area, i am convinced this seal leaks but cannot be totally sure, the windscreen fitter said he had a hose pipe on it and that the water is coming from the door seal however when you peel the lip of the seal back you can see the shiny reflection of water any ideas how this could be after all oyes a brand new .seal

I don't know how old your vehicle is but water can also get in through the windscreen to bulkhead seal, through the bolt holes of the windscreen block/hinge, vent flap seal and around the door seal where the bulkhead seal flange meets the screen frame seal flange. All these are in the line of fire from water draining from the gutter across the bottom of the screen frame so it's a good idea to check all these.

HTH

Mo

"Seek'n'Seal" made by Comma was pretty good, but I'm not sure if it is still available though!

Anyway Defender windscreen seals can look pretty knackered from the outside, but still seal well against the frame of the screen. Personally I'd check for corrosion before changing the rubber and as mentioned above there are a number of other possible causes.

If you haven't done so already, take a peek at the water ingress manual in the Tech Archive.

• 1 year later...

Defender 110 Front windscreen XS Heated leaking.

Found something quite interesting since parking the 110 the other way around on my drive, so its now tilting towards the passenger side. (Noticed that since purchase there was corrosion on the passenger side bulkhead joint with the windscreen close to the three bolts, and have tried various things to stop water ingress including a genuine JLR door seal with extra sealant) But still found water on the floor mat. Decided to remove the passenger hand grip on the side of the dashboard and leave it off overnight to see where the water was coming in. Following overnight rain found the water was leaking not from the door seal or the three bolts but directly below the windscreen then i noticed a slight water pool of water between the windscreen rubber and the windscreen on the inside (obviously) but why wasn't it leaking on the other side when parked in the other direction? This is my theory, with the XS there are two metal foil tape leads that supply the 12v to the heated screen, if these are flush/touching the rubber windscreen seal they act as a capillary attractor and the water cascades down this electric feeds to below the dashboard and makes its way towards the door area via a small metal sill that can be seen below and to the lower corner of the front air vent (those of you that have dropped a 20p piece between the windscreen and the dashboard and have heard it roll from side to side, then this is the water collection point I am talking about.

Im not sure if I could stop the windscreen leak but if you make sure the heated windscreen electric lead is lifted above the rubber of the windscreen (so its doesn't act as a capillary attractor then that seems to reduce the water ingress. My next stage is to see whether the windscreen can be removed and a genuine JLR rubber fitted. I had a new windscreen and National Windscreens supplied rubber seal fitted on 3 months ago. Im pretty sure the JLR seal will be better quality (less hard) and possibly stop the water coming in. As a mere mortal it seems amazing that any water can sit on the INSIDE of the windscreen rubber anyway! The picture shows what Im talking about but I have pulled the electric connector up.

post-108516-0-61888700-1441026644_thumb.jpg