Transfer box

bernie

I have a nearly new (defo less than 10K miles) cross drilled input gear in the garage, with bearings attached if it is any use?

As for other bits to replace, i'd do the input seal and something i should have done is the intermediate shaft o rings - the buggers always leak from there (even if the seller tells you it is fine...). Anything else that isnt major can be done with the box on the vehicle.

Top tip, make absolutely sure the O-ring you buy is in a Land Rover packet, if you get one of the other suppliers they are all too fat and get cut when you refit the shaft.....

I wish I'd just done that seal on my old box. Instead I bought one from adafish on another forum after being assured the one I was buying was a low mileage one that didn't leak. Guess what. It leaked! Not only that, but I later found that the stake nut on the intermediate shaft was loose. That was £100 wasted! So. Lesson learnt, be selective who you buy from and, on the transfer box, also replace that o ring and cover the end of the shaft with sealant whilst it is on the floor!

Good thread here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55338

I believe there are two o rings in there, one on the shaft, the other in a groove in the casing. You can only change the outer one on the shaft without dismantling the box.