Land Rover related saloon as everyday car?

o_teunico

Maintenance is not included because the miles covered with the saloon will be saved in the Discovery. Conversion will be carried at home with a engine from bro, obtained at zero cost. Only extra cost will be MoT aproval, but VM and Tdi engines are so similar in size/weight/power that it shouldn't be a problem.

Real life consumption with the Disco will show if the Tdi saloon idea is a good or a bad one.

Edit: I have spent in six months 850 eur in petrol and not 550 as I wrote

More calculations...if the saloon has exactly half the fuel consumption of the Disco I will save about 1100 eur per year, but I will spend 300 in insurance, 150 in tax, 50 in MoT test and 500 in parking space, so the actual save will be, at best, less than 10 eur per month.

Better to have just the Disco!

I've had some thoughts the other way round, on using an SDI LT77 gearbox in something like a basic military style soft-top 90.

That would make it rear wheel drive only, get rid of the transfer box, and remove the front diff and prop.

Would be interesting to see how the weight loss and reduced mechanical losses affected fuel consumption?

You can convert the LT230 to RWD selectable, ashcrofts sell the kit & the freewheeling hubs to go with - the very early 110's were RWD / all four locked with no centre diff.

I helped a chap put a 200tdi in a Rover P4. It was originally a 2.25 petrol, so we pulled the lump put the 200 in, and made up the exhaust. It was getting ridiculous MPG - 45mpg sounds about right. It went to Italy and back. He then sold it to a bloke who started welding it up, and I think he's sold it now as well.

It was quick, it had a RRC diff in it IIRC, but it handled like an absolute pig.

I would suggest the SD1 idea is a good one - they're bloody awful cars to look at though!

With the new year my brain seems to be even more confused. First abandoned idea, the London Taxi as base vehicle, is again in my mind. It´s bigger than I thought, about the same size as a Range Rover, but 300/400kg lighter and wheelchair frienly (great for grandma). Can be found as cheap as 700 UK pounds, thanks to rulings that say that no vehicle older than 15 years will have a taxi license renewal. Unfortunately the FX4R, the ones fitted with Land Rover engine, are rare today. Las ones were built 1998, the FX4 Fairway, with Nissan 2.7 engine.

In Spain it was homologated to be used in Barcelona in 1997, but I have found just one picture and don´t know if it was RHD or LHD.

ficha_LTICarbodies_p.jpg

I really like the seat arrangement and the body line, wich will be easy to disguise as a mini Rolls Phantom V/Silver Cloud-Bentley Type S :rofl:

Bentley_S1_Saloon_1958.jpg

EDIT: In 2002 there were just 10 Carbodies Taxis in service in Spain, already built as LHD. A 11th unit was waiting for a buyer for registering it. Fuel consumption (in city) 12 litres every 100km. Quite high, but guaranteed for 1.000.000km!

If you are pondering a late run BL Austin car to convert, what about a Montego/Maestro they has the same self recycling rust characteristics as the SD1. The perkins lump was probably the last bit left of the car as it was covered in oil continually. It found it's way into several land rovers via Steve parkers kits. So why not go the other way and create a montego 4x4 with lt77 etc

What kind of % better fuel consumption can be expected with one of those 4x2/4x4 kits for the LT230?

With standard LandRover Spiral Bevel diffs, the rolling resitance of the diff is negligible, but for vehicle fitted with hypoid diffs there may be some saving in fuel usage, but it would probably never repay the cost of the free wheel hubs. Last time I looked the hubs were the carp AVM brand, so I wouldn't bother.