110 rear prop

Seasons Greetings

Have just attampted to fit my new rear prop ( Paddock/BM wide angle replacement for a FTC3905)

and it is a fraction too long.

My landy is a 1994 ex army 110 with a disk brake salisbury on a MA vin.

Trawling through the various sites it is hard to establish if I have the correct part.

The prop that came off is slightly shorter and extends about an inch to meet the flange, the new one looks like it should go on but I cannot get it over the large nut in the center of the diff flange.

Have contemplated the persuader but fortunatly it got dark so hoping to drawn on the collective knowlege.

Many thanks

Mole

Did the old propshaft come off easily or did it require a bit of compression to ease off off the diff flange? It's not uncommon for the transfer box position to float a little if the gearbox has been off its mounts for clutch work, etc.

Fully compress both propshafts and lay them side by side to compare length. Do the same when extended. They should be similar.

If the seals are good on the slider then the propshaft may be 'hydraulic'd', that is to say you cannot compress it further because the grease in the sliding joint has nowhere else to go.

It's a common problem when fitting Land Cruiser props as their seals are excellent.

The way round it is to remove the sliding joint grease nipple temporarily whilst you got the prop, this will allow you to slide it in and out fully with ease. Remember to refit the grease nipple when you are finished

depending on your engine gearbox combo, you may have the wrong rear prop. When I did mine from a 2.5na and lt77 to a 300tdi/r380 the prop was around 1-2 inches too short. It's worth checking you have the right part.

is it a 200tdi or a 300? and which gearbox have you got?

converted to a disco 200tdi existing R380 but had disco 1:2 transfer box put in at the same time. As far as I know the original Prop was used.

It also has 1"1/2 lift.

I suspect I have the incorrect part as my old shaft is aprox 1030mm and the new one is 1050mm.

Looking at devon 4x4 they supply wide angle shafts at 1025mm & 1050mm, the 1025 being for the salisbury all be it with drums.

Just hope that Paddocks will have it back as i decided that it would be easier to grease it up before fitting it ...Doh!

live and learn...

converted to a disco 200tdi existing R380 but had disco 1:2 transfer box put in at the same time. As far as I know the original Prop was used.

It also has 1"1/2 lift.

I suspect I have the incorrect part as my old shaft is aprox 1030mm and the new one is 1050mm.

Looking at devon 4x4 they supply wide angle shafts at 1025mm & 1050mm, the 1025 being for the salisbury all be it with drums.

Just hope that Paddocks will have it back as i decided that it would be easier to grease it up before fitting it ...Doh!

live and learn...

I shouldn't think they be bothered if it's greased....

If the seals are good on the slider then the propshaft may be 'hydraulic'd', that is to say you cannot compress it further because the grease in the sliding joint has nowhere else to go.

It's a common problem when fitting Land Cruiser props as their seals are excellent.

The way round it is to remove the sliding joint grease nipple temporarily whilst you got the prop, this will allow you to slide it in and out fully with ease. Remember to refit the grease nipple when you are finished

Great tip, Lewis - thanks!