Crunching downshift to second

ejparrott

Mine was crunching a little bit on the weekend going from 3rd to 2nd (probably my inexperience of driving a series) and I had to ease off the revs a little to get it smoothly in gear. Could also have just been me though

thats what rev matching (double clutching) is for, it enables you to change down from a higher speed without any crunching

• 2 weeks later...

Mine bites at roughly mid travel. I'd suggest having it bite near the top of the pedal movement is better as it must require less play in the mechanical parts and efficient hydraulic parts to release the clutch so soon on the way down. Then again, it could also infer a worn clutch plate, needing less movement of the release mechanism to take the spring pressure off the plates...

To be honest, with the question marks raised by your other thread, including the transmission noise and the comment that it had been standing empty for a long time, I think a full gear box strip and rebuild may be a smart move.

Ah - I thought you were having a disastrous time with one vehicle! You must have a Defender clutch in the 109, so it will behave differently from the SIII clutch in the 88, even though the hydraulics are the same. Of course, there's always the potential for fork failure on the Defender clutch, but I would think that the way it bursts will mean that it seems normal one moment, then the next time you use it you have a long, ineffective pedal movement followed by a rock hard pedal with no effect. That's what happened on my RR.

• 6 months later...

It went bang...or rather it didn't, but it might as well have done.... Came back from holiday this morning with the RAC, somewhere between Tywyn and Welshpool we lost second gear, or rather the ability to select second gear. All the other gears are fine, but the selector shaft just will not move forward to select second. I've got the soundproofing out and the tunnel, everythings clear and as it should be, so it's internal. Fortunately I have just got The 109 usable again, giving me time to hopfully do something with Kettle...looks like either the old box going back in with it's noisy layshaft bearings, or the box from The 109 which jumps out of third, which probably just needs new springs in the detents.

popping out of third in the other box most likely isnt just the detent springs im afraid :( good news is its super easy to rebuild a series box, i reccomend putting new layshaft bearings in your spare box and replacing anything else that looks suspect whilst youre in there. then just swap it out when you have a day or so.

:)

We need the 88, so it'll be the old box from The 109 with the detent springs from the current box to hopefully keep it in third, while I get new layshaft bearings sorted out for the other box, or get on with sorting out the mating of an LT77 to a series transfer case and rebuilding the spare LT77. Might just trial fit the LT while the series box is out, I'm determined to get it to fit without resorting to an LT tunnel, I think it can be done provided you use the Series transfer box so you don't have the difflock/HiLo mechanism in there.

We need the 88, so it'll be the old box from The 109 with the detent springs from the current box to hopefully keep it in third, while I get new layshaft bearings sorted out for the other box, or get on with sorting out the mating of an LT77 to a series transfer case and rebuilding the spare LT77. Might just trial fit the LT while the series box is out, I'm determined to get it to fit without resorting to an LT tunnel, I think it can be done provided you use the Series transfer box so you don't have the difflock/HiLo mechanism in there.

let us know how you get on with regards to prop angles i thought mine is at too large of an angle anyway to make it shorter still

Lots more bronze in the oil that I drained yesterday, no bits of steel though. Popped the top off this morning and had a looksie. Still can't select second, and with the shifters out, can't see anything wrong either. Shan't worry about it at the moment, will install other box and get back on the road, then will split to investigate.

Steel shards makes me wonder if the leaf springs on the 3rd/4th synchro have failed. They have cause a seizure of that hub on mine a couple of times, but it's not impossible that the shattered spring remnants may have fount their way between the 1st/2nd synchro and 2nd gear in your case. I'd take to top cover off and have a look, rotating the main shaft round while inspecting the 3rd/4th synchro springs. If one is missing, I'd say we have found the cause.

As expect changing the detent springs hasn't stopped it jumping out of third, but the important thing is we're mobile again. Did also puit about a 1/4 of a turn on the mainshaft nut and re staked it, still jumps out though. I'll look at getting one or other box rebuilt now, properly, then swap that in and hopefully we'll be all good again then.