SOS.

qwakers

Have you bought the Haynes anual for it?

If not then get one and then find a RAVE link or buy a CD, I bought one for the D1 and it has more info than I will ever need and has been a great help in tracking down stupidly simple problem parts and jobs.

as far as i can find, haynes never did a manual for the p38. however i do have a service manual for it... which doesn't mention the location, so thanks for that guys.

went out and warmed it up earlier. rad is stone cold top to bottom. stat must be stuck. will change it asap and go from there.

If it's stone cold then it's likely there is no stat fitted at all.

No, the opposite, as said previously it's probably stuck closed. If closed cool water can't return to the engine and hot water will be stuck at the top hose unable to thermally cycle either. The small vent in the closed thermostat would not allow sufficient water to pass to make any difference at all.

An open thermostat / no thermostat would allow the water to circulate quickly never allowing the engine to reach operating temperature and possibly running rich and misbehaving.

I copied this from RAVE if it's not too late to be of any use:

Thermostat housing

A ’four way’ thermostat housing, located at the bottom of the fan cowling behind the radiator, is used to link the main components within the engine cooling system. The four connections locate the radiator bottom hose, top hose, by-pass hose and coolant pump feed hose.

The plastic housing contains a wax element thermostat. The thermostat and housing are a sealed unit and cannot be replaced individually. The thermostat is used to maintain the coolant at the optimum temperature for efficient combustion and to aid engine warm-up.

The thermostat is closed at temperatures below approximately 80 °C (176 °F). When the coolant temperature reaches between 80 to 84 °C

(176 to 183 °F) the thermostat starts to open and is fully open at approximately 96 °C (204 °F). In this condition the full flow of coolant is directed through the radiator.

New rad and its all good.... i think. 15 miles of high speed running and the needle didnt budge.

if it hasnt used any water when i check it tomorrow then we're good!

the rads core was completely rotten. its first appearance of being in good nick was misleading...