300tdi Passenger Door Difficult To Open

AdeParko

I'm having problems opening the passenger door from the outside. You have to keep atempting to pull the handle, and after numerous failures, hopefully one time go it will open

It will open from the inside handle first time with no problems

Had a search on the forum, and the one thing that keeps popping up is the mechanism spring

Is this likely to be the most obvious case for my problem?

Thanks

Ade

If you hold the lock plunger up in the unlocked position and then try the external latch handle, does it work better? If it does, it's that spring. You can buy the spring on eBay - LR don't sell the spring separately and will only sell you a complete lock/latch mechanism for over £80! I put a repair guide on my blog: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/range-rover-classic-discovery-i-door-lock-repair/ The Discovery and RRC locks and parts are identical - it's inly the trim panel and interior grab handle that are different, and you'll figure those out easily enough.

There is a wee bit of a cheat I discovered recently (will only put off inevitably having to do the springs) - once the door card is off (buy some of those wretched little plastic rivets things before you start), slightly bend the actuating rod so that the pull/push button at the top of the door just rubs on the slot. There's enough friction generated to hold the button up long enough to open the door, like I said this will only put off doing the job properly.....