Hi Steer coiler axle: homemade proto

Is Mr HFH to blame for this, you break something and assume i've done likewise :P :p :P :p

We've not broken swivels like that before. Anyway, i'm really gentle with my drivetrain.....

Honestly no! :D

Moreover, you've got a front axle casing and knuckles that look like they belong on an earthmover, yet you still use stock swivel balls, and with those tyres I thought you may have had problems!

I have now sourced and fitted original LR chrome balls and am hoping for no further problems!

Got to say, while these are impressive efforts to strengthen/modify an LR axle, for a lot less effort get a pair of D70 or D80's and forget about them.

They come standard on RB44 with a detriot locker on the rear. Or many full size yank pick ups.

Got to say, while these are impressive efforts to strengthen/modify an LR axle, for a lot less effort get a pair of D70 or D80's and forget about them.

They come standard on RB44 with a detriot locker on the rear. Or many full size yank pick ups.

Your preaching to the converted.

Although with a D70/80 you will need 40+ tyres to get some kind of diff clearance back.

Your preaching to the converted.

Although with a D70/80 you will need 40+ tyres to get some kind of diff clearance back.

Dana70 takes the same rear cover plate as a 60 or L/Rover Salisbury, so although the larger crownwheel diameter precludes extensive shaving except for external trimming, clearance should be no worse than a Salisbury. What discombobulates me is that some that are concerned with ground clearance when building up vehicles, go and fit centred rear diffs and Atlas style centred rear output transfercases. That's no way to optimise what little ground clearance your diffs have. Building a custom rear diff/ and or comp buggy ? Get the diff as close to the right hand side rear wheel as chassis allows, and use an LT230. With mods it's probably the best and most versatile stock transfercase there is.

Sorry for going well off topic, I have no excuse. Lol.

A D80 is a big (very strong) diff ! A d70, also big but like Bill says very similar in size to a 60. You can fit the 70 gears into the 60 to save a bit more space, but the 70 has bigger steering C's and knuckles anyway. The 'optimum' rear axle i have to say is a 14 bolt, with a shave on it i've got the same clearance as a LR diff - but can now handle 500hp. These can be made into front axles as well if you so wish and are prepared to do the work.

I seem to be have been collecting an assortment of axles over the past year (D80, D60, 14b's, 404's :lol: )

G

The above axle is on chrome balls.

When you come down to the lockup i'll show you the dana 80, now that looks like it came off a JCB !

G

Looking forward to it! :D

Friend on LZ has just picked up a new rear D80 for his, urm, supercharged big block series 2 build :o