new suspension on a disco 1

st1g

hello to everyone

i want to change the suspension on my wife's discovery could anyone please tell me their opinions on which kits are the best ?? are terrafirma any good ?? the truck is does goes of road but not much but does a bit of towing .

cheers

hi ive a 200 disco, ive just changed the suspension and i bought standard uprated shocks /springs britpart springs and monroe gas shocks but it did not sit level ride was ok ish but was too high at the front,so ive now got britpart 2"lift and procomp shocks with genuine polybush blue ones with new steering joints (greaseable) ones new timkin bearings all round and it drives lovely

I have just put some on the front of my 90, they seem to work as a spring should.

As for shocks if your only doing normal stuff some shocks with the best warranty might be the best thing or OME or KONI if your in to spending the spondoolies, there's reams of shock advice on here.

Will.

I would go standard OE springs (or OE equivalent), gas assisted shocks, SuperPro bushes (nice warrantee and very, very long lasting with vast ride improvement)

The shock market is a funny old thing - most of the 'normal shocks' are very cheaply made; say 85%; although they vary in price enormously. So you can pay big bucks for cheap rubbish. There's very little 'middle market' stuff available in Europe. Then there's a teeny weeny amount of stuff at the top end. Huge amount of non OE shocks are simple badge engineered

I would go for Bilstein, BOGE or Koni

Avoid Terrafirma All Terrains for the time being until they get the latest round of build quality issues sorted. Avoid OME as they changed manufacturing a while back - no longer made by Monroe, so the quality has panned.. Old stock OME's are the Dog's Bits

Monroe Adventures are good for the pennies and Jeff tells me he is very happy with his GAZ shocks from Britpart (but don't go pink, please)

My daily drive
Genuine bushes full hit. I usually swear by ome all out. But I have tried Terrafirma springs plus 2 heavy rate and ome pls 2" shocks. I usually hate the ride of a disco but I'm very pleased with my commercial. I tow 3 ton plus car trailers, tow my boat, green Lane alot the odd play site and drive 100mph plus on the Isle of Man regularly go to the UK in her and the ride is excellent. I have tried Terrafirma steering dampener lasted one week and bought ome one instead I found the Terrafirma one far too heavy. OME on perfect.

1996 disco commerical 1"body lift
285/75/16s bfgoodrich at's on mach 5's
200tdi tweaked
OME plus 2" shocks old stock
Terrafirma hd plus 2" springs
Winch hd bumper up front
HD rear bumper
Spring retainers relocates all from gwyn lewis 4x4

I also use a D1 V8 as a daily drive for long motor way hauls, towing caravan, towing car trailer, bit of green laning, driving about in the snow when it happens!

It's set up as follows

• Famous Four HD standard height springs (which give a slight lift but nothing massive)
  • Bilstein Dampers
  • Standard bushes on axle end and Polybushes on chassis end of arms

I've had this setup for around 5 years and it performs all tasks well, giving a nice feel on the road but removing some of the wallow normally found, tows well and still allows me to park up in a multistory when I visit such places.

right then please help hahahaha i want to order today , what make standard shocks and where to purchase , i cant afford really expensive gas shocks are the likes of procomp , terrafima , monroe etc any good ?? im still leaning towards

www.4x4autoparts-online.co.uk/standard-height-procomp-full-suspension-kit-p-3848.html?zenid=1fv2f0bvdh0lgn76pc26iitj76

any one used these ??

are they any good ??

or is there better for similar money ??

thanks again

the reason behind all this is its my wifes truck and i dont want to hear about for the next year if i get it wrong lol

Monroe Adventures are fine

Pro-comp are a bit soft and better suited to off road conditions rather than hard road use as they seem to heat up quicker than the Monroes. But if it's your wife's motor, unless she drives like my wife, you should be fine

Have a look at the GAS set up and springs that Britpart

• 5 weeks later...