oily intake pipes.

Nigelw

Not had an abundance of time for this but when I replaced the steering box again last week I found the post compressor pipe to be quite oily, now it has done barely 50kms since it was all cleaned up and refitted from the last time.

How should I go about searching out the source of the oil?

My worries are,

Turbo oil seals.

Excessive blow by gasses taking oil into the intake.

Where do I start?

Okay, logical and progressive, disconnect the breather pipe from the turbo intake, tape up the connection and just let the engine vent to atmosphere, clean the turbo intake and discharge hoses, run engine for say 20-30 kilometres, if there is oil in the turbo to intercooler pipe we can assume its turbo oil seals, if its still clean its engine blow-back. Reconnect the vent line to the turbo.

If its the latter and you are not burning oil I'd be looking at the cyclonic oil reclaimer, its non-servicable but can be washed out with acetate.

They are a tenner and meant to be changed at 12k intervals. I have one in the spares box - new - and can post it if you need it; call it an early Christmas present. Alternatively clean it with carb or brake cleaner (or acetate)

Also bear in mind that the 200tdi is a 'wet' engine and it is normal for it to leak form every internal and external orifice... I posted a copy of a dealer letter from '89 on here long, long ago and the amount of oil loss that was acceptable by LR is ridiculous in any other engine

the oli is from the crankcase breather system, doubt you will ever stop it happening, engine has to breathe so it can run, venting to atmosphere isn't a good idea as the oil traces will contaminate road surfaces & make it unsafe for other road users, vent in to a catch tank instead of having the breather vent into the air intake of the engine.

Well, as I won't see it until it has been for the safety test I am goign to order up a catch tank and see what if anything changes? Some nice ally ones on ebay, just find one with world wide shipping and job jobbed for now.

Note at this point I am on bended knee pleading with the fella upstairs to let it not be the turbo!!!!

Spendometer is already maxed out and so far €1,100 over budget, I blame the steering box and erm, something my GF wanted to put on it too :ph34r:

Well, as I won't see it until it has been for the safety test I am goign to order up a catch tank and see what if anything changes? Some nice ally ones on ebay, just find one with world wide shipping and job jobbed for now.

Note at this point I am on bended knee pleading with the fella upstairs to let it not be the turbo!!!!

Spendometer is already maxed out and so far €1,100 over budget, I blame the steering box and erm, something my GF wanted to put on it too :ph34r:

haha i like that nige something my gf wanted to put on it , my missus hates mine as i sold a mind s60 d5 volvo to go back to a crappy old disco lol she put it . i cant sel mine its into me over 2 k now

I never meant for the engine to be naturally vented permanently, but simply to see where the oil vapour was originating from, it has to come from either the engine or the turbo, by allowing the engine to vent to the atmosphere allows you to determine where the oil is coming from, once that is asertained you can rectify the fault.