TD5 cuts out in deep water

Hi all, after some pointers please ?

I have a regular serviced and cared for 51plate 90 ,

Been superbly reliable till recently,

1st occasion - on Salisbury plain, correctly going through deep water with a controlled bow wave etc, the engine jumped into Tickover only and the engine warning light on dash, turned on n off a few times , but same result ( Tickover only )

Whilst I was awaiting recovery ( 45 mins ) I left it running to keep me and dog warm, and it revved and drove home perfectly !!!

Anyhow - all was well till yesterday , same location, similar maneuver - same result :0(

However this time we drove her on Tickover to nearer the road ( fearing the worst ) and turned on and off a few times, this time it was ok and started to pick up revs a little till the engine light. Came on and Tickover again,

So let it run and this time I have a hawk eye :0) so plugged it in and maybe 12 ish faults listed, some not relevant ( tachometer drive , abs etc, ) but others were low driver input ? Amongst others, anyhow cleared the faults, started up again and same stuff happened, so let it sit a whilst running , and seememed fine so drove home , was quite flat most of the journey 50 mph max, as I got closer to home maybe 20 miles into trip home. Seemed fine and flying again,

Whilst it was still running on the drive I did notice the alarm was switching from on to off on the live read out of the Hawkeye ???

I'm guessing it's a water ingress issue ? But any pointers please ??

I have a extended ecu wiring loom fitted and the ecu sits behind my head now , also been remapped by irb developments, , it has been 100% reliable in this spec for the last 35k plus miles, and general rain and puddles seem fine,

There is no oil in the loom, under both seats were dry,

Sorry for the long post , but I thought as much info would be handy :0))

Thank you for your time in reading this request , Richy

Sounding a bit blonde - how do I check that ?

Take off the trim above the pedal ? And maybe spray some lube/ oil there ? Can I test it on my hawk eye ? Some readings perhaps ?

Or maybe ask someone who knows what there doing with the hawk eye

sounds very similar to my Lr 110 td5 52 plate.. but I didn't need to do wading.. it just needs to be raining hard. My solution was to rewire the accelerator pedal as somewhere on the loom it rubs itself to destruction. easiest solution is to use trailer cable from scratch from the pedal to the ecu.

hope it helps.

Rich

That's an interesting comment, thanks , as whilst googling my tale of woe - it this wiring issue did crop up a few times, they mentioned somewhere near the front of the engine area, so I'll have a looky one evening this week and hopefully find a bit of wiring rubbing somewhere :0)

Failing that I'll re wire the pedal as mentioned above - and go find a puddle somewhere I guess :0)

Many thanks for the tips , I'll update as and when with results

I had the same problem when i had a leaky fuel pressure regulator(sucking air/water not leaking fuel), if it had been raining, or i washed my truck it would act up.

was eventually tracked down to the pressure regulator, replaced and ever since been fine!

As mentioned above, it is very common for loom to cause problems where it goes over the transfer box and rubs through. Easiest plan is to rewire from ECM to throttle pedal.

I assume that all was ok, big puddle, then just tickover with engine warning light on. After a while all ok, till next puddle?

Andy

Hi Andy, yep pretty much that scenario, the first time took about four or five stops on the way home, which it went into Tickover only with warning light, whilst waiting for the recovery at this point ( about 45 mins ) I left it running to keep me and my hound warm, then all was ok after that,

Then yep, gentle splashes are fine , till we did some deep sensible approached wading with a bow wave, water probally level with top of bonnet , then sane thing as above ! This time cleared a bit quicker though, maybe I'll pop out and remove cubby box and cover and have a looky-

Many thanks and I'll keep ya updates with any progress x

Morning ,

I took the time to remove the bunny box and cover to inspect things under there, all looks fine, no signs of rubbing or chaffing , and I also fired her up on fast Tickover and had a hose flat out all over that area for sometime, I also did the same to everything in the engine bay, and never skipped a beat :0(

I also inspected the loom etc arounfpd the engine bay but couldn't find / see any issues there ??

I have booked a very good auto electrician to come out next week and investigate , but was hoping to narrow down the area or re create the fault before he got here , most of my local ford crossings have been closed due to dumb arses driving into them and getting stuck and worse

I'll keep ya posted on this saga though :0)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, I have replaced the throttle potentiometer ( pedal ) and wired directly from the pedal to the ecu,

So far as good a s gold, but miles and water will be the test of that comment

I wasn't too happy doing the above as not actually found any faults to speak of, but had to do somthing

I'll update ( or not ) as the miles pass