One spring longer than the other?!

So today I noticed my defender 90 had a slight tilt on it, thought maybe its the ground its parked on so I moved it a bit and I would say the ground is levelish but my tilt was still there.

Measured from centre of the wheel to the body work (same point all around) I'm getting about 480/500mm all around except on the rear passanger side where I'm getting 560mm (ish)

What could cause this? Only had the car about a month and havent done any off roading in it, the springs and shocks werent new when fitted but they seem to be newish.

I have read that the front springs have a left and right string but I dont know about the rear and would 60mm be the correct difference between the 2 sides?

I will put it in the garage when I get home where I know its level and see if it sits to one side then. But in the mean time could it be that the drivers side rear spring has sagged a bit from the weight of the driver, the fuel tank and the tyre? Or is it that the other side has the wrong spring?

Cheers

Stephen

A lot LR springs are handed. They are always slightly longer in free length on the drivers side. It's been this way pretty much for ever. I suppose it's the sitting level with the main load in idea....

However what you describe is not right.

OE springs tend to be colour coded but shouldn't always match up side to side, but sometimes do. This is to confuse people

See what you can find in the way of colour coding

okay I will have a look, I dont think they are stock by the fact they are yellow now. One thing that has changed is the spare tyre isnt on the back door anymore its in the back due to some missing wheel nuts...

When I take the tyre out the back there isnt any difference but wasnt sure maybe its sitting diffirent because the tyre isnt on the back?

S

Im hoping that my new wheel nuts arrive tomorrow and it can return to its normal place! I wont do anything until then!

Hope its that, its maybe a defender thing but it just seems to be one think after another! Im not complaning I love my defender, I'm just still new to this kind of work so id rather my problems happened slowly and started off easy and then got more challanging!

S

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to come back to this after so long, once I got the tyre back on the rear of the defender it hasn’t helped, the lean is noticeable if you’re looking at the car, there is up to 60mm difference between wheels.

In my head it sounds like it’s time for new springs and shocks, would I be right? The level on each wheel from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch is different. If it is time for new shocks and springs, how easy a job is that? Can it be done alone be a newbie and do I need any special tools?

Thanks
S :)

60mm is a LOT to be different. I would take them off and put them side by side and see if they are a similar length.

Standard ones may (or may not) be 15 to 20mm different, but any more than that means there is a problem.

If they ARE a similar length, thewn look at the spring seats on the axle and chassis. Its not entirely unknown for them to collapse.

Yellow spring peeps do lift kits with longer springs too, maybe yours have got mixed up somewhere along the line ?

I had a look on padocks for springs and can only find britpart ones. From what I've rear I'm to avoid britpart. I've seen there are off-road springs but which are best to pick? Not planning on doing anything major with the car a bit of towing here and there but no proper off roading.

Cheers

S