110. TD5 ABS lights ... Again!.

Hi Guys,

Running out of ideas..

Front right sensor at fault. Changed sensor, had front hub CV joint replaced, hub stripped and checked, ran new wiring straight to ECU from sensor, changed ECU, checked earth, all sensors read similar voltage when running.

Lights stays out for about 1/4 of a mile..

Any other ideas...?

Cheers,

Dave.

I had similar when my sensor wasn't seated in properly.

Once tapped back in gently it went away and has not come back.

I know you have changed everything but is it seated correctly and not moving as Dave suggests?

Have you checked the other side in case they are wired in wrong side to ECU? (Random thought)

I had similar when my sensor wasn't seated in properly.

Once tapped back in gently it went away and hads not come back.

I know you have changed everything but is it seated correctly and not moving as Dave suggests?

Have you checked the other side in case they are wireed in wrong side to ECU? (Random thought)

I will double check, I feel it may be a doggy rear axle... hahaha..

I had a similar recurring fault on my P38. Other people had tried all sorts before I bought it, new sensors, new ECU, new driveshafts, overlaying wires, to try and fix it.

I discovered that if I gave it a light tap with a hammer to re-seat the sensor the fault went away for a couple of days. It had never visibly popped up so must only have been the slightest movement.

My fix was to make a bracket out of an old piece of angle that when bolted in place to existing holes in the hub pressed down on the top of the sensor. It's been on there 18 months now and I've not seen the ABS fault since.

Shuttle valve switch in the bottom of the abs censor.

Could you give a little more info if you have any please..? Thanks..

I had a similar recurring fault on my P38. Other people had tried all sorts before I bought it, new sensors, new ECU, new driveshafts, overlaying wires, to try and fix it.

I discovered that if I gave it a light tap with a hammer to re-seat the sensor the fault went away for a couple of days. It had never visibly popped up so must only have been the slightest movement.

My fix was to make a bracket out of an old piece of angle that when bolted in place to existing holes in the hub pressed down on the top of the sensor. It's been on there 18 months now and I've not seen the ABS fault since.

Now this sounds like my kind of fix, nail the &^%$£ing thing in place, will give it ago tomorrow... Thanks..

Shuttle switch failure usually shows up as such on a code reader. Land Rover will tell you that you need a replacement abs modulator but the fix is the same as Disco 2 three amigos and costs around £40. You can get to it through the air intake without disturbing the brake lines, had to do it on my Defender recently. http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

I was also getting a rear sensor fault even with a new sensors, hasn't come back since I did the shuttle switch mod.

Some time before that I kept knocking out rear bearings that would affect the sensors, took ages to find it was a worn stub axle. Finding the right stub axle was fun as it's not standard 110 and it's wrongly listed in some places. Yours is front, so that's not the problem. I did have a front problem when the top king pin bearing failed though!

Hi Guys,

Just went through the above shuttle valve switch mod, pig of a job access wise, lots of cursing. Reading were fine before hand but did it anyway.

Went down the cut out the internal connection completely.

Lights still on.

Shuttle valve switches read ok.

I can't turn them out myself as I haven't a diagnostic unit so it will have to wait till Monday, I'm not getting my hopes up but they may stay out.

All sensors read ok, too.

I have swopped the ECU's back and fourth just for fun..

All in all a right pain..

I haven't made the bracket yet as they used to go out when the sensor was tapped home, but they aren't even going out now....!?

Any other ideas...?

Cheers,

Dave.

Update...

Had the lights turned off, diagnostic unit showed no reading from front right wheel sensor.....

Put out all the lights, TC light went out as it should, driving around their yard ABS light stayed on...

Drove home, ABS light went out after a few hundred yards...

Came back on as soon as I touched the brakes... along with the TC light....

Off the bang head against the wall...

Ouch...!! that didn't help...

db.

You need to have some one look at the live data on a scan tool, that actually knows what they're looking at.

In view of what's already been done I was going to sugest maybe an odd tyre as even the same sized tyres can have a different rolling radius dependent on maker.

But then you say the O/S/F sensor showed no output, again with all that's been done I would have said a sensor gap issue, if you're 100% the sensor is ok.

So, just to make sure, swop sensors side to side, if it still stays as an O/S/F fault then you need to piggy back an oscilloscope directly at the sensor and have a scan tool connected as well. When the ecu loses the signal, is one still being produced at the sensor, that should establish wich area the fault is in.

It's a long time since I had an ABS Defender axle in bits but isn't there a support bearing in the inner end of the stub axle that the CV sits in? if that's worn the sensor gap could be running out.

Good news at last... Mot'd today as lights have been out or should I say, working as they should... After trying so many cures I lost track of what worked and what didn't.. Looking back I feel the shuttle switch internal connector was at fault, but this didn't show up as a fault on the diagnostic scanner...??

It always stated a fault with the front right wheel sensor..

So a big thank you to 101 & all for your help..

Off to donate to the forum....

Cheers,

db

• 5 years later...

Hi. Mines been playing up on and off for 2 years now. I've had a brand new abs pump, 2 front sensors replaced with genuine ones, another ecu. Hubs, bearings all good. Been on and out of the garage constantly at great expense. They are getting fed up with it and so am I. Please help!!! Unsure what else it could be. 😬