Need help sourcing a GRP bonnet

The Saint

I have a Range rover classic with a GRP bonnet. The bonnet is a shell and is held on with 4 rubber bonnet catches, this makes it hard for one person to get on and off.

I need a GRP bonnet that could be attached to the original Range rover bonnet hinges, so it will open in the conventional way. I don't mind having pins on the front.

I believe to be able to attach the bonnet to the original hinges, it needs a second internal shell or strengthening.

I found this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-Range-Rover-classic-fiberglass-bonnet-camel-trophy-off-road-4x4-/130735277355?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e706e052b

But don't want the light pod and £320 seems a bit steep.

I looked at the mm4x4 one

http://www.mm4x4.net/range-rover-classic-lightweight-grp-bonnett---to-be-fixed-with-pins-or-straps-1760-p.asp

But that is a shell also.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I have posted in this forum as i thought i might get a quicker response.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been into M&M's shop, to look at the bonnet they have on display. Unfortunately it was a shell, I spoke to them about what I needed and their reply was 'no that's all we have got'.

I don't think they have the moulds as a few years back I met the man who made all of the fiberglass products for M&M. His company made some obscure old kit cars and was based in Hewell Grange, Redditch. I went back to see him but he is no longer there and nobody on the estate knew what happened to him or the moulds.

Long Ranger make the bonnet in the first link with the light pod. I have been in touch with them and they plan on making two types of bonnets in the next couple of months. A race which is just a shell like I have now for £300 or a road which has the hinges and locking catch for £500. Apparently I will need a hybrid for £400. It's an expensive option but an option.

I bought a GRP bonnet from ebay when I was building the CSK but decided to fettle the original one. The bonnet I bought bolts to the original places and uses all the original hardware.

Somehow the bonnet found its way onto a different RRC in the family so isn't for sale but I can take photos of bits if required?

I know a good supplier of GRP bonnets for MGB's? :D