Power down - 200tdi

soutie

I ran the 110 on reserve a month ago on the way to Billing for a fair distance before filling up. On the way home I noticed that on tickover the revs where dying and surging.

On filling up and adding a diesel additive the surging stopped. I have checked for air leaks in the turbo hoses etc and there are none.

I also changed the fuel filter to be safe.

Now however power is down. One has to really wind up the turbo to get going. The top speed has been reduced to 75mph and revs to 3000 - turbo pressure at max boost 1 bar. The pressure was boosted in 1999 when I had the larger intercooler fitted.

It also kangaroo's when backing off acceleration now, real fuel starvation when not under hard throttle.

What could the problem be?

a. Crud in the fuel line?

b. Faulty lift pump? - it starts fine so I are not sure on this.

c. Faulty fuel stop solenoid that is starving the fuel supply?

d. Fuel pump on the way our?

:(

Guest diesel_jim

If you've changed the filter, i'd suggest it was the lift pump.

remove the filter you;ve got, stick a container under ther bracket where it goes and pump the lift pump, you should have some good squirts of fuel come out, this should determine whether the pipes are blocked.

With the filter re-fitted, start the engine and crack open the bleed screw. fuel should come out at a good rate. whenever my pumps have gone bad, there isn't enough pressure or flow to keep the filter even full when the engine is running, let alone pump out the top. i took the screw right out and could see the fuel about 1" below the top of the filter. revved it up and the level dropped even further.

Guest diesel_jim
cr*p in the fuel pickup in the tank would be my guess.

I've tried that before... it's really hard to get the aim right so it all goes into the pickup pipe without spilling over and landing on the top of the tank.....

B) :D:D:D

As a result of running low on fuel? How so?

Chris

I've had this before on a Range Rover Chris.

The pickup pipe (on the RRC at least) had a fine gauze mesh filter on the end. Running very low on fuel means that there is a higher concentration of general detritus in the fuel itself = more chance of the mesh becoming blocked. The constant suction of the fuel pump means that the filter stays blocked. I got mine running again by disconnecting the fuel pickip pipe at the engine and blowing through it - it popped the mesh filter off and restored full power.

Still ended up changing the pickup / sender later though...

Matt

I've had this before on a Range Rover Chris.

The pickup pipe (on the RRC at least) had a fine gauze mesh filter on the end. Running very low on fuel means that there is a higher concentration of general detritus in the fuel itself = more chance of the mesh becoming blocked. The constant suction of the fuel pump means that the filter stays blocked. I got mine running again by disconnecting the fuel pickip pipe at the engine and blowing through it - it popped the mesh filter off and restored full power.

Still ended up changing the pickup / sender later though...

Matt

Not wholly convinced but it is the most plausable explanation I have heard. :)

Chris

cuase thats what the probelm was with my old one ten, fuel got low, filter got clogged (and yes it did have a filter) this restricted the flow of fuel and therefore limited max delivery. removed filter and it all worked.

i ran it from then without a filter in the tank guessing the inline one would do the job and as it was a tdi there would be enough built in tolerance for any other particles to make their way through to the exhaust....................