Starting Issues after a service TD5

Just recieved a call fom the garage who are servicing my TD5

They have changed the fuel filter and now it will not start, it fires up then dies

They don't know what to do, anyone got any pointers

Would they have to follow the same start up procedure as if I had run out of fuel? And if they had not would that bugger up the fuel pump?

Funny thing is they have 2 TD5's with the same problem

Cheers

Jason

It does sound as if they don't know how to purge the fuel system on the TD5 (which does make me wonder about the quality of the garage). The purging procedure is:

Leave the ignition of for about 20 seconds. Turn the key to the second stage (at this point you should hear the fuel pump cut in) and wait for around 2 minutes. This should purge any air from the fuel rail. Press the accelerator to a slight amount less than fully depressed. Crank the engine over, keeping the pedal depressed until starting.

It is the same bleeding procedure as for running out of fuel, air would get into the system either way. I wouldn't have thought that there would have been any damage to the fuel pump, provided the garage haven't been cranking the engine for an excessive amount of time.

Jason I serviced mine last week, and yep that about sums it up, leave the ignition on for a couple of minutes then turn it off, repeat this a few time and you should be away, the fuel pump will run a bit louder for a while until the air is entirely purged, I have heard of it taking up to a couple of days for the sound of the fuel pump to get back to normal, mine was about 1/2 hr, then the next morning it did`nt want to start first time, so went thru the purging procudure again and then it ran perfectly and still is.

Another thing to check is the flow sensor in the air cleaner there are a couple of sensors here, if they changed the air filter they might have left one of the plugs off.

Must say I am glad I do my own servicing, as I don`t trust these idiots out here.

Jason I serviced mine last week, and yep that about sums it up, leave the ignition on for a couple of minutes then turn it off, repeat this a few time and you should be away, the fuel pump will run a bit louder for a while until the air is entirely purged, I have heard of it taking up to a couple of days for the sound of the fuel pump to get back to normal, mine was about 1/2 hr, then the next morning it did`nt want to start first time, so went thru the purging procudure again and then it ran perfectly and still is.

Another thing to check is the flow sensor in the air cleaner there are a couple of sensors here, if they changed the air filter they might have left one of the plugs off.

Must say I am glad I do my own servicing, as I don`t trust these idiots out here.

Cheers for the quick response

I have sent them a copy of the purge procedure from the workshop manual

Cols when I see you I will tell you whch garage

Most Td5s (all except the very early ones) have an auto bleeding function, put the ignition on and pump the pedal to the floor and back 5 times the engine warning light will start flashing, it will run the purge cycle of 30 seconds on 5 seconds off 30 seconds on 5 seconds off, I think it does this 6 times then as soon as the light stops flashing, put the pedal to the floor and crank it till it starts. I think only the early 99MY vehicles don't have this function built in.

If there is fuel in the tank it will not affect the fuel pump, but if it is running dry then it will die fairly quickly! But only if the tank is completely empty, I'm assuming if it won't start they will have checked to see if there is any fuel in it....... :unsure:

Most Td5s (all except the very early ones) have an auto bleeding function, put the ignition on and pump the pedal to the floor and back 5 times the engine warning light will start flashing, it will run the purge cycle of 30 seconds on 5 seconds off 30 seconds on 5 seconds off, I think it does this 6 times then as soon as the light stops flashing, put the pedal to the floor and crank it till it starts. I think only the early 99MY vehicles don't have this function built in.

If there is fuel in the tank it will not affect the fuel pump, but if it is running dry then it will die fairly quickly! But only if the tank is completely empty, I'm assuming if it won't start they will have checked to see if there is any fuel in it....... :unsure:

Thats the 1st thing I looked at when I went there this afternoon, as I had filled it up before I took it in

I was down at the garage for about 3 hrs this afternoon but they just could nt get it going, there just does nt seem to be much pressure from the fuel line. Had to bite the bullet and try and find a new fuel pump

Funny thing is though they had another TD5 in for a service and it developed the same problem

Jason,

I had the same problem, I think right before leaving for Cheeze land. There might even be a post arround describing it.

I strongly beleive that the problem was caused by the mechanics simply not knowing much about the TD5. All TD5 owners ought to band together and negiotiate with a garage to train someone on TD5 in exchange for your collective continued patronage.

I took it into AAA for a clutch. I forget the chronology but they couldn't start it because in their view the cranking sensor failed. New sensor was put in and then when I came to pick it up they couldn't start it. I had them do the purge right infront of me. Didn't work. They put more diesel in purged and it didn't work.

Long story short they jetted of to GS in Sharjah before closing, got a new fuel pump and eventually all was ok. I was very suspicous that the faiures were on their end. To their credit they did work through the night and on friday to fix it and didn't charge me for the labor.

Sharkey was kind enough to pick me up when the car wasn't ready so he might provide some weight in any argument if you used the same people.

Let us know the resolution and finnaly make sure they get it done before Eid!

Best,

Jason

Jason,

I had the same problem, I think right before leaving for Cheeze land. There might even be a post arround describing it.

I strongly beleive that the problem was caused by the mechanics simply not knowing much about the TD5. All TD5 owners ought to band together and negiotiate with a garage to train someone on TD5 in exchange for your collective continued patronage.

I took it into AAA for a clutch. I forget the chronology but they couldn't start it because in their view the cranking sensor failed. New sensor was put in and then when I came to pick it up they couldn't start it. I had them do the purge right infront of me. Didn't work. They put more diesel in purged and it didn't work.

Long story short they jetted of to GS in Sharjah before closing, got a new fuel pump and eventually all was ok. I was very suspicous that the faiures were on their end. To their credit they did work through the night and on friday to fix it and didn't charge me for the labor.

Sharkey was kind enough to pick me up when the car wasn't ready so he might provide some weight in any argument if you used the same people.

Let us know the resolution and finnaly make sure they get it done before Eid!

Best,

Jason

Good to hear from you mate, I remembered you having a similar problem. I mentioned this today and it was brushed off, i think the statement went something along the lines of" Its a design fault"

Managed to get a fuel pump from Gulf spares in the end 450chips compared to 1850 for the 110 thats buggered as well

I will wait until Saturday morning, when hopefully they have fixed it before I start "negotiating"

Did you sell yours in the end?

Good idea about the TD5 mechanic but I don't think even Al Tayer have got any qualified guys. You have given me an idea, start my own Landie garage, find someone who knows his stuff and bingo

I think when the time comes and I need to get some work done on my TD5 that I can`t do myself, I will bite the bullet and book it into Al Tayer, AAA is good at somethings, but you still hear some horror stories about some of their work.

Hope the new fuel pump sorts it out.

If it was me I would also want to be there when they try to fire it up, to make sure they do it right next time round.