p38 horn sounds after being parked for a couple of hours

smokeyone

Hello

Latest p38 mystery is the horn going off by itself after the car was parked and locked for a couple of hours. To stop the horn I ended up taking out the relay in the fusebox under the bonnet. Could I check that the horn is separate from the car alarm and if anyone can remember if the horn will work or not with the ignition turned off.

I am thinking of investigating the wiring under the steering wheel but if the horn does not work with the ignition off it's unlikely to be a wiring problem under the steering wheel -

Thanks

Mate, it could be something different but this happened to my uncle.

EDIT: Just spoken to him. The alarm receiver on the earlier cars doesn't have RF shielding, leaving it vulnerable to wifi signals, radar, garage doors etc. The BECM can be awoken erroneously and can subsequently activate various electrical systems (one seemingly common one being the horn) and drain the battery.

He bought a Nanocom and had the security features on the car deactivated. But there are other options:

1. Fit a 2nd generation upgraded receiver, they have RF shielding. The P/N should be YWY500170

2. Shorten (or remove) the aerial from the alarm receiver. You have to be close to the car to blip it open, but it's reported to be an effective fix.

3. This is my own guessing, but I thought car alarm receivers were adjustable to be more or less sensitive.

George

Thank you for the advice - I will double check but when I had both ecu's repaired some months back I had

the chap de activate the alarm altogether - figuring the alarm was more trouble than it was worth and all

the fun of changing flat batteries etc etc -

Would you happen to know for certain if the alarm siren is different from the horn because it is the horn going off

if I put the fusebox relay back in -

Thanks

Control module issue sounds like a possibility though as elbekko says. I've no idea about the horn/siren, sorry!

Do you still have remote central locking active? Don't know if it's possible to have the alarm deactivated wile retaining use of remote locking; but in that scenario your receiver would still be active and picking up signals.

I'll bow out now as I don't know anything about the P38. Good luck.

I had the remote switched off too - just use the key to get in and out - central locking still works though......

Where did you get the diagram from - rave !!

Yes, that's from the RAVE :)