Timing Belt Change

My 200Tdi had its timing belt in around 2001 by the previous owner but since then it has only covered about 30,000km (18,000miles) - 23,000kms of which have been with me during the past 10 months.

IIRC the handbook suggests that it should be changed every 5 years or 50,000miles whichever is arrived at first. What is the general opinion on this and should I be booking it in for a change about now?

Thanks

I always do a complete service on all my motors when I purchase them, that way you know where you stand with it, no surprises etc etc..

so change it...

You should replace the cam belt at the recommended (or earlier with heavy use), intervals. Even if you may be early - it's still worth it for the peace of mind.

Les. :)

first time i touched the cambelt on mine was after it snapped. its fun working out how to time it etc when you've never seen inside the engine before. come to think of it the 2nd time was after it snapped again, never did work out why it snapped again though.

not much difference between those engines, i'd do it yourself so you know its done properly, i just changed a head gasket on an engine which was put back together 12000 miles earlier by a garage, and found the timing belt under almost no tension at all, it flopped against the timing cover, surprised it hadn't broken or jumped a tooth.

if you dont do the job yourself then take it to a reputable garage rather than the cheapest quote.

agreed on that one, however the 200tdi is such an easy beasty to work on..

not much difference between those engines, i'd do it yourself so you know its done properly, i just changed a head gasket on an engine which was put back together 12000 miles earlier by a garage, and found the timing belt under almost no tension at all, it flopped against the timing cover, surprised it hadn't broken or jumped a tooth.

if you dont do the job yourself then take it to a reputable garage rather than the cheapest quote.

I quite agree with you on that and I HATE anyone touching the 110 (mechanically speaking) but I have a real mental block with the cam belt. I recall during the ill-fated N/A debacle having a major hassle trying to keep the tensioner at the correct tension whilst trying to tighten the retaining stud - which sheared! Then I had to tap out the stud and...... well you get the picture! Anyway it all ended with the inevitable 'twang' of snapping rubber and the motor went 'phut!'

I repaired it eventually and then a nice lad from Holland bought it with a sack full of cash and I never saw it again.