Discovery 1 front brake issues

JB750

Looks like it's spanners out time again! Out driving today and noticed the Disco pulling badly to the left when I braked. I checked things over when I stopped and smelled that lovely aroma that only comes from hot clutches or brakes, and as it's an auto so ......

The offside disc was bl**dy HOT! The truck also seemd to be 'dragging' when freewheeling which made me suspicious right away. I haven't stripped anything down yet but the least I am going to need will be pads and possibly a disc if it's too thin to get skimmed. Can anyone recommend which piston/seal kit to buy? There are plenty on offer online but I wondered if there are any known 'rogue' ones to avoid.

If the bores are OK then that is the way I will go, but any doubt and I guess it's new caliper time :(

Thanks guys.

JB

For calliper issues like this I'd probably opt for a calliper change out from the off. I've got a couple of Delphe service exchange units from my local auto save before and been really happy with them (and the prices haven't been that bad either). a lot less faff that taking the calliper apart to find the bores are shot....

As above, I would re-con for say rusty pistons, but seized callipers is probably going to be too far gone? Will there be so much rust the outer dust seals have no where to fit?

For seal kits I think you will be hard pressed to tell which ones are good? Maybe genuine ones from the calliper manufacturers are available? But I don't know if they are Lockheed or who's calliper they are.

I chucked Zeus pistons and any ones seals in mine, as it is offroad only. At least the 'profile' of the seal is simple so it limits how folk can make bad ones :)

Well, got the old pistons out and they were cr*p! I've done plenty of fine steel wool followed by 5000 grit crocus paper and they have been fine with new seals etc. but these boys are waaaaay past their sell-by date!

I decided that I would strip the nearside one down too and it was not far behind. So I'm replacing the calipers on both sides. Also going to change the fluid as it looks pretty manky so while I've got it apart I may as well sort that too.

Gotta love Landys :D

You can fit 110 brake calipers and pads if you want better brakes. Did just that on my Partners disco a few months back. heres an Idea of the size differences.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203248530466469&set=a.10203248523026283.1073741827.1005341141&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203248530386467&set=a.10203248523026283.1073741827.1005341141&type=3&theater

Thats a vented caliper and disc but same thing happens with solid discs.

I need to change the calipers on our 1996 Discovery. I had thought of buying cheap Britpart calipers, replacing the pistons with stainless steel ones, and the seals with good quality ones. This would give me a set ready to change and limit the period the vehicle was out of use. In view of Vulcan Bomber's comment does this mean I can use 110 calipers instead, and they will fit straight on the existing Discovery mountings and solid discs?

• 4 weeks later...

I need to change the calipers on our 1996 Discovery. I had thought of buying cheap Britpart calipers, replacing the pistons with stainless steel ones, and the seals with good quality ones. This would give me a set ready to change and limit the period the vehicle was out of use. In view of Vulcan Bomber's comment does this mean I can use 110 calipers instead, and they will fit straight on the existing Discovery mountings and solid discs?

Did you buy the britpart calipers ?, i will be doing a vented disc conversion to my 98 discovery and see that the britpart calipers are just over 30 quid each although i generally steer clear of britpart items but will need to factor in freight .

No. So far I have a Britpart overhaul kit which includes stainless steel pistons and is a lot cheaper than buying s/s pistons individually. I also purchased OEM seals, although the kit claims to include OEM seals. I decided to inspect the existing calipers to see if they can be reused, which I intend to do this coming week, before buying new calipers.

I find if I just touch the brakes when the vehicle is first used it pulls to the left, but if I push the brake a bit harder it pulls up in straight line, as it does once things are warmed up, so i am hoping the calipers are not too bad. The discs are clean, with no oil etc so I suspect a piston is a bit stiff.