Cant get grease into the new rear UJs

Spent another day on my Defender.

Rebuilt turbo on and fitted the refurbed props. It actually moved under its own steam for the first time since the gearbox swap :)

When trying to grease the props the front UJs and slide greased up fine. Rear slide no problem.

Both rear UJs refuse to take any grease. Took out the nipples and tried with the long ones i use on my Discovery but still no happiness.

The effort required to move the lever on the grease gun is significantly more than when grease flows. UJs are GKN so i'd not expect them to be duff but you never know.

Have you fitted the UJ's yourself? If so I usually after assembly "relief the pressure" on the caps buy reverse tapping the X to make sure the caps are seated on the c-clips, this makes the joint nice and free and greasing is a breeze. You probably know this trick already.

Yes, fitted myself.

Heat doesn't seem to have made much difference.

They seemed free enough when i fitted them so didn't see the need to tap the cups out.

Once the floor is back in i'll take it for a run and try to grease again after that.

When fitting new UJ, you need to poke something through both ways to get the factory grease out; it is usually old and hardened up and this is why frequently they don't grease evenly/at all. Even better is to warm them up to get it out of the cross entirely, don't worry about any in the caps.

If i ever get this thing finished and back on the road i'll try and warm them again after a decent drive and see if they'll grease up. If not i'll swap the UJs again and poke them through as you suggest.

When fitting new UJ, you need to poke something through both ways to get the factory grease out; it is usually old and hardened up and this is why frequently they don't grease evenly/at all. Even better is to warm them up to get it out of the cross entirely, don't worry about any in the caps.

I normally stick a little grease in each cup as I assemble the UJ, with grease nipple removed. This lets the factory grease out, then just refit the nipple.