V8 Catalytic converters

dave88sw

Hi,

Sorry for asking this here but it covers any Land Rover with a V8 so feel it would get a better response here than the discovery section.

My 3.9 Discovery has a horrible rattle from the cats, seen it on loads of cars over the years and usually the best solution is a new cat. However, i've known lots of people cut open the cat, scoop out the middle (or just the loose bits) and then weld it back together. I'm all for this as i just haven't got the money for a new y piece with cats. My question is, how close to the limit do most V8's seem to be on the emmisions test, will i have trouble getting it through the test with a large portion of the cat missing?

My other thought (probably a stupid one) is to get a non cat y piece (much cheaper) and a universal cat and just put the one cat on behind the y piece rather than one on each branch? But are cats special to each vehicle (i.e. are they an optimum size or surface area?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

It's a 97, i know the cats need to be present, i'm not usually one to try and skimp on bits but i really cant afford a new y piece. I suppose the only option is to try and remove the loose bits and then get an emmissions test done to see if it's made a big difference.

I very much doubt you'll pass the emissions test for cats without them, when my Freelander's cat broke up internally it failed the MOT by miles on emissions, new cat & it went through perfect.

The stuff inside may be nasty but it's high value as scrap, contains platinum and all sorts - for a while people were going round stealing them when scrap prices were proper high!

Thanks for the advice guys, pretty much what i expected to hear. The MOT isn't due until april so i have a while to ponder over what to do. I had intended to LPG it so maybe i'll bring that forward, then i can quite happily remove the cats.