Panhard bracket bolt

I'm trying to get this bolt out to fit a steering guard

post-18025-0-28569300-1404075983_thumb.jpg

Heat and a sledge hammer won't budge it. I can turn it with a breaker bar and all my weight. Anyone got any ideas?

I fear it's rusted to the chassis, and getting it out would destroy it and any chance of getting another bolt in there.

Soak it in loose-all/gazplus/wd40 etc and let it soak. If you have access to air tools then an impact socket and air gun makes life a lot easier. Get the bolt spinning then a pry bar under the head as you spin should slowly work it free. Turn the bolt in both directions as you free it off, it'll loosen eventually

Do everything that Scott 90 said plus, get a good chisel and belt the chassis lug and bracket along the length of the bolt, right from the head to the thread. This will deform the chassis lug ever so slightly and release the bolt, also hit the bolt head as opposed to the nut and as Scott says 'tighten as well as loosen', it will come out.

Good luck, Paul

Heat up and apply a candle and the wax will wick into the gaps, then solidify and in the process help break some of the bonds.

Well I never,

I've been undoing seized bolts since 1971 and I thought I'd heard of everything but that's a new one one me :i-m_so_happy:

I'm guessing it is a military trick given who told me about it last year. Works great on some bolts that just won't move otherwise and that there's no way to get the part into the phosphoric acid bath I keep here for parts that can be dunked.