300tdi Engine NO shut off

Cyberfarmer

July 14, 2014

Dear All,

This may or may not be a repost but I couldn't find anything similar. I have a Disco 300tdi automatic, engine newly rebuilt including the injection pump. My problem is that I couldn't turn off the engine from the key though I can start it on a click. The fuel stop solenoid is new and the engine idles well. I can only turn off the engine when I open an injector fuel line so the engine would starve. Where do I need to start hunting?

Thanks in advance.

Easiest test is to pull the solenoid feed off the pump, if it stops then you having a elec issue, either in the engine bay or behind the dash, if it continues to run then the solenoid may be siezed.

Obviously caution should be used when placing your hand on the engine when it's running so you could proove the same thing by removing the solenoid wire from the pump when not running and seeing if it starts.

Not very well up on the auto/EDC pumps so all I can offer is the basics I'm afraid!

Mine had a little shaving of aluminium under the seating of the shut off solenoid, it was allowing a dribble of fuel through. If I revved it after turning off the ignition key it would starve and shut down. Took out the solenoid and cleaned out the swarf from the seating deep in the FIP. Used a spot of grease on the end of my longest thinnest screwdriver to pick up the swarf, then blasted out the threaded bore with a good squirt of WD40 using the straw.

Thanks for the many replies. I have checked the solenoid through a simple application of pos neg on the housing and pole, the solenod dribbles the plastic plunger. Now, I reckon that the wiring is screwed or theres no current drawing towards the solenoid or vice versa. Is the wiring a screw type on to the solenoid or a plug type...its a silly question i know.

Thanks

Quote:

"Thanks for the many replies. I have checked the solenoid through a simple application of pos neg on the housing and pole",

Doesn't that mean that you have already discovered whether the wiring is screw on or plug type?

Quote:

"the solenod dribbles the plastic plunger."

What does that mean?

Quote:

"Now, I reckon that the wiring is screwed or theres no current drawing towards the solenoid or vice versa. Is the wiring a screw type on to the solenoid or a plug type...its a silly question i know."

You need to establish whether you are dealing with a mechanical or electrical fault, have you disconnected the wire at the stop solenoid so that you are sure it is not getting an electrical feed?

You say it is an automatic gearbox Discovery 300TDI. Does it still have electronic diesel control? The EDC takes information from various places, but it is the EDC that says what the engine should do, and instructs the injector pump accordingly. If you have a wiring fault to the EDC it may be getting a spurious feed on to the feed from the ignition switch, so that the EDC does not recognised that the ignition has been turned off. It will continue to tell the pump to fuel the engine so that the engine can tick over. When you stop the engine by stopping the fuel supply the EDC sees that the engine has stopped and stops telling the pump to allow the engine to tick over. So the situation now, as far as the EDC is concerned, is the ignition is on but the engine is stopped. That is how it will stay until you operate the starter, the EDC will then instruct the pump and the engine will run (and and run until you stop the fuel again because the EDC never sees the ignition go off). I would check the wiring to the EDC, assuming you have one..