Bumper Corners

geoffbeaumont

I was aiming to have the Range Rover running for a bit of laning first weekend in November, but due to some slight incompetence by a mate it's not looking likely we'll have it running this weekend. Not the end of the world, just means I need to prep the disco, which is pretty straightforward apart from front recovery points/ spoiler.

I know most people remove the centre spoiler and cut the bumper corners down, but I don't want to permanently modify this truck. The recovery points will be JATE rings nicked off the Range Rover, so the spoiler pretty much has to come off to give access to them. Though about just leaving the bumper corners, but I suspect without any support from the spoiler they'd be very vulnerable.

Ideas? Don't suppose there's much chance of getting the corners off an eleven year old truck in one piece, is there? Does it expose any nasty sharp bits if I do?

It's a 300TDi, by the way.

They will break even easier as you suggested!

Its a while since I got rid of mine but I seem to recall that there are only a couple of bolts holding it on, there is a metal frame inside which bolts to the vehicle and then self tapping screws which hold the plastic bit on to the metal frame.

I'd cut them off, it looks much better with them off anyway, if you do it neatly :)

If you just take them off it looks a bit horrible but no different to if you break them off just that you can put them back on again afterwards!

If you just take them off it looks a bit horrible but no different to if you break them off just that you can put them back on again afterwards!

I'm not too fussed what it looks like - it's not going to be my regular laning vehicle (at least until the rangie breaks down again :rolleyes:).

The other thing you could do is cut down the old end caps, get a set of unmolested ones, and swap between them according to what you are doing? They are about £30 each for new ones but I should think you'd find a set at a breakers for a lot less than that...

The other thing you could do is cut down the old end caps, get a set of unmolested ones, and swap between them according to what you are doing? They are about £30 each for new ones but I should think you'd find a set at a breakers for a lot less than that...

Bit extreme for one days laning, though...

If the Range Rover (or more accurately my incompetent friend...) doesn't get it's act together, I'll think about sorting this one out permanently. If I do, doubt I'll faff around with changing them all the time, I'll just cut them or fit a decent bumper.

dont think that'd fit mark, disco bodies seem to extend an extra inch or two from the chassis.

at least when you put a disco bullbar on a RR it stands about 2" clear of the bumper suggesting the front of a RR isnt as long as a disco to me.

i think its one or two self-tapping bolts that hold the endcaps on, chances are they'll be so rusty they wont come out though. i think discos look better without the spoiler & the endcaps cutdown as well.