Auto box problems...

landrovermanuk

Sorry if this has been done before but i couldn't find anything....

I've got a 3.9efi and auto box from a 94 disco in my 90.

The gear lever doesn't line up with the markings on the surround. If the box is in Drive the selector says Neutral...etc

It will not go into Park far enough to engage park in the gearbox and will not allow the 90 to start...

I am thinking that the cable from the selector to the gearbox has stretched but can't find anything changing/adjusting this cable...

This problem occurred over a short time...

Any ideas???

Thanks John

It's an HP22 as far as I know. If I push the lever as far forward as possible on a slope I can hear a noiseas the car moves. To me it sounds like a cog trying to engage with an other cog nut only just touching....

I'll go and see if I can see how it adjusts. It's got a 50th Ann center console, which I think I am going to have to remove before I can do/see anything...

Thanks, at least I know where to start looking....

• 1 month later...

The problem is back....

I now know what the problem is though.

The outer cable(sheath) has broken just behind the fitting that attaches to the back of the gear selector housing. Every time I move the selector the sheath moves. This means that the selector does not match the lettering on the surround and it changes position every time I move the selector. Currently reverse is where park should be and drive is where neutral is....

So now I am hoping someone can tell me where to find the instructions to replace the cable... or tell me how it connects/ disconnects from the selector/hoousing...

Thanks John..