Vin Number

siggy

I dont know about Canada or the UK but here in Australia the Roads & Maritime Services department of the NSW goverment will, if requested and for a nominal payment give you a summary of the VIN number as in what engine, gearbox, seating capacity and factory accessories that the VIN number signifies. These are I believe generaly the letters, the numerical number being the serial number of the car and I think the first three are the model number as in Disco, Defender or Range Rover. Some where in there is also a prefix (letters or numbers) for the year of manufacture

Just on the subject, if we're talking D2, there are three VIN locations. The plate on the slam panel, under the windscreen on the right as you face the vehicle, and on the rear chassis rail right side in the dip rear of the fuel filter. I mention it as the rear chassis on a D2 is a rust hotspot and the VIN can be destroyed quite easily. I had trouble putting mine through the road test as the examiner couldn't see it. In the end I had to have the police stamp a letter to verify the cars credentials were in order. Not a huge deal but worth checking that the chassis VIN is in good nick.