Isuzu 2.8Tdi 4jb1T. Any real life experience?

o_teunico

Hi all,

I´m considering an engine swap for my 88. The Isuzu 2.8 Tdi 4jb1T is one of the options, along with Land Rover´s own Tdi and Di.

The Isuzu conversion seems quite popular, so, any real life experiences with this engine in a Series? Is it better than the Rover Tdi? How much mpg can I expect? Is best the Trooper unit or should I go for the Frontera one?

Thanks for the advice!

Had an early trooper that had one fitted, some argued they were better than the 3.1 but were they cobblers!!!

Almost a bullet proof engine that is IMHO better than any of the 2.5 n/a D or 2.5Tdi engines, really don't know which model out of the general motors stable had the Isuzu 3.1 engine in but they are worth a look too.

I do not know about fiit to a series, but in the Isuzu, they are legendary around here. Great fuel consumption (some claims of 15km/l but more like 13km/l on the open road and 10km/l in town), bulletproof and simple. Standard was 74kW and 230N.m. of torque without an intercooler. It does not sound like much but there is no turbol ag and the power and torque is produced very evenly. So some improvement can immediately be gained at reasonably little cost. Fit an intercooler and have the dieselpump recalibrated.They can run In Africa where 500 ppm diesel (high sulphur content) is the norm. Our low sulphur diesel is 50 ppm and can only be gotten in major cities.

Personally, I would fit the engine and gearbox together. It is 5 speed, designed to run axles with 4.556 diff ratios. So if you fit 33" tyres you are very close to standard Isuzu gearing.

The Isuzu engine is a bit noisy, due to the direct injection.

I would love to fit the 2.8 Isuzu power plant and gearbox, but they are a bit pricey here.

Those fuel consumption figures are great!

My idea was sourcing a 4bd1 plus MAU5 gearbox and tranferbox, and then adapt it's slip joint to run a divorced LT230. That way I will have a good engine and double low box for a reasonable price. Engine is short (24") but I still need to know how long is the box to see if it will fit in the 88.

Think you should have bought a 109 as packaging constraints for two transfer cases inside the 88" wheel base with usable prop lengths for travel and articulation will be a major deciding factor.

Look on the Isuzu Trooper forums for help with gearbox lengths.

1:1 LT230 with the Series / lower ratio diffs can work nicely as you end up with a high high range and a relatively low low range, this is what I have in my 109 (with portals 6:1 diff ratio) and it works nicely.

Also ref: 2 transfer boxes - the Isuzu is a very short engine so you gain room to move the engine forwards quite a bit if needed. But 109's are better anyway ;)

I used to look after a couple of Troopers with the 2.8 engines,at the time they were very reliable,but I found they lacked low down grunt compared to a TDI LR unit and over their time I seem to remember fitting plenty of clutches,maybe due to the lack of torque ? Could of course been bad drivers...

My only concern about them now is that like TDI's they are getting old - I just wonder what the parts situation is ?

Complete engines are readily available, and parts are easy to obtain through the net.

The 5 speed Santanas had 3.54 diffs. Mine, at some stage of it´s life, was downgraded to 4.7s. Not good considering that the LT230 I have is 1.667. 1:1 with 4.7 and isuzu box will be ideal for 32" tyres.

As said, the welded slip joint + FTC5090 solution has been used successfully in the past. I will take the measuring tape to the local scrapyard to see how log a the Trooper and Frontera boxes are.

adapter.jpgDSCF2159.JPG

I'm the guy landkeeper mentioned, the 2.8 is a cracking little engine, as been said above lots of low down torque and very compact. There's different versions of the 2.8td. Some have timing gears others have timing belts. I ran both an lt77 and a stumpyish r380 with a 1.22 transfer box behind it. It pulled great but started to run out of puff on hills about 60mph. I have the drawings/dxf I used to make the conversion plate if you want to go the lr gearbox route. I posted a link to the 2.8 workshop manual on this forum a few years ago if you can find it.

before I sold on the 2.8, the turbo was burning oil so I tried to get it rebuilt, couldn't find anybody in the uk or Ireland to do it. Apparently the 2.8 turbo was unique and no longer supported. Ended up putting s second hand one in it!

I've recently picked up another engineless lr project. I've gone for a defender 200tdi

Tbh I don't think its worth all the effort, conversion plate, custom engine mounts and exhaust(on the rhs unlike 200/300) then getting spares is a pain. Much easier logging on to paddocks and getting everything in one go. I think it is a slightly better engine than a 200/300 but it's about 22 years since they were sold here .

Gazzer fitted a 200di to his series it seemed very straight forward maybe get his opinion on it

• 6 months later...

Interesting topic,

In Australia the 4JB1 was used for many years in the Holden Rodeo which was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo/Faster.

In its sister car the Holden Jackeroo had a similar engine a 3.1 litre 4JG2

Later Holden Rodeo's (RA code) used the 4JH1 engine which also seems to be rock solid.

They are still sold in Australia, marketed as the Isuzu Dmax.

I was wondering if the bolt pattern for attaching a gearbox on these engines is all the same.

Does anyone have any experience here? They would be a good fit in a landy i reckon.

Rich

Richard

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...