Warn drum screw

Anderzander

What would anyone's suggestion be to source a drum screw for my winch ..

It's 1/4 x 1/4 UNC. Metric equivalent is M6 x 6 coarse I think - neither seem easily available.

The thread looks like it's had a bit of a hard time so I'm reluctant to try and run a standard M6 tap through it.

This is for attaching a plasma by the way.

Any suggestions welcome.

That seems to be option that keeps coming up in searches - but I've no idea how to splice a rope and would worry about doing it safely / well enough.

I quite like the idea of welding a half link on - though that would be best timed for when I'm pulling it all off for a service.

I have a quarter loop welded to my drum so you can just shove the rope through and tie a knot. I don't like it though - the loop and knot are too large on the drum and mess up the layers

You can just duct tape it to the drum, it'll never be under any load anyway.

Or splice a loop in the end around your drum. Only really doable with a rope that's fairly new. Trying to splice old rope is very tedious. Splicing ropes is a simple skill to learn which can be very valuable. I think there used to be a guide on the Goodwinch website, there's probably countless guides on YouTube

• Like 1

Thanks lewis - and you're right there are quite a few tutorials on Youtube, loads in fact.

This is quite an old rope though and quite flattened. Perhaps in the short term I will duct tape it on - and when I buy my next rope use it as an opportunity to learn to splice it.