Modified front inner arches for quick and easy access.

last year I transplanted a 5.9L cummins 6bt into my Defender 110, I have been driving around without the inner wings for some time and thought it was about time I addressed the issue of being able to access the side of my engine and doing so without having to strip all the components off to access the four hard to reach bolts under the wing surface.

I acquired a very good set of galvanised arches to modify for my requirements, firstly I removed all the wiring and washer bottle, I then located all the spot welds which hold the two halve together and drilled them all out. Using a pair of screwdrivers and a hammer I pryd the pieces apart.

I then cut out a 6" section in the centre to allow me to remove and refit the arch without having to remove the shock turret.

post-47238-0-31040000-1413493091_thumb.jpg

I then added six rivnuts to the piece that will be permanently attached to the wings.

post-47238-0-66590800-1413493253_thumb.jpg

I then fit this piece to the wing and checked for alignment against the lower half to the chassis/bulkhead mounts.

post-47238-0-03299500-1413493390_thumb.jpg

Once I aligned both parts I secured them together with M6 stainless bolts.

This means I can now gain access the engine side quickly and easily to perform maintenance without stripping half the front end and still have dirt protection when off road.

post-47238-0-04242400-1413493670_thumb.jpg

post-47238-0-18824600-1413493694_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...