What front axle do I have? TD5?

Chris Davies

Hi, I've started to strip, (ready for a refurb) a spare front axle I had. I'm about to start a rebuild and decided to refurb a spare front and rear axle so that I could get to a rolling chassis stage.

Anyhow when I've taken the hub off the spare axle the nut holding the bearing in is not the type I am used to (nut, folding tab washer and nut) but just a single nut.

Having done a search on here I think it may be a TD5 axle?

I'm rebuilding a late 200tdi defender with rear discs as standard and 24 spline axles, I think the same as 300tdi. My search on here also suggested that I could use the 200/300tdi (nut,washer,nut) arrangement on the TD5 axle.

So questions are

1) Does this sound like a TD5 axle

2) Am I correct in thinking I can use the nut washer nut setup off my original axle

3) Am I ok using a TD5 axle for my rebuild or am I going to run into other problems

Thanks

Chris

Why go to the hassle of swapping entire axles?

I rebuilt my front axle on my 200Tdi Discovery with all the necessary from the front axle of a 300Tdi to give the desired 24 spline hardware.

Unless the axles are very good condition and your originals are rusted to buggery just swap the internals over.

Follow the link in my sig, there is a post in my blog about swapping from 10 to 24 spline.

Ok, have just had a closer look armed with a tape measure and looks like Mo is correct in that the later 200tdi's got the wide radius arms as well as 24 spline axles.

So all is good, I can get my new chassis up to the rolling stage and start to swap bits over.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken the TD5 has a spacer between the outer race of the inner bearing and the outer race of the outer bearing.

You torque up the single nut to a specified torque and stake it. There are different spacers ranging from 14,9mm to 15,5mm to get the preload correct.

Now if you want to switch back to the old 2 nuts and lockplate setup it might be wise to discard the spacer as well and set the preload the old fashioned way.

Eric.

• Like 1