Disco 1 cranks slow and starts after 5 sec.. help

isbjorn

Hi.

Ive got a 96 Disco 1 V8 ES. And it normally starts directly. But when its a bit warm or quite randomly it takes a bit more time (feel like its getting worse). It might take anything from 2-7 sec to get the engine running.

It sound like the starter cranks the engine very very slow and by holding the key for a long time it finally starts cranking faster and then starts. Then it runs perfectly. I read about the spider problems and it sounds probable, but I'm not sure if the slow cranking can actually be a symptom of that? If so I can just get the by-pass thingy. Just wanted to be sure first.

It got new fresh batteries and the connections look good.

Cheers and thanks from switzerland.

Well. Brand new batteries, and the earth points should be just fine. I have to dubble check. Still don´t make sense since its very very unconsistanst. Just got a new fault as well. The key refuse to rotate when trying to start him... Also quite random. Anyway. I will investigate further and let you know what i find.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmm, There is a new quite nasty hard metallic grinding? sound when turning the key. Only until the engine starts. Maybe around around 1 second. Is that normal?

Its a remanufactured Bosch starter.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. It really sounds like its the starter making those horrible noises. Its only while cranking, and long as I'm holding the key in starting mode. Is there any way I could have mounted the starter wrong?

No , it can only go on one way and there is no adjustment , is it a manual gearbox? ( was thinking auto = broken flex plate)

It maybe the replacement starter has the wrong number of teeth on the gear ? I remember having issues with RV8 starters many years ago different models different gear ratio , but I thought the rover diesel starter is the same all the way from the 2 1/4?

cheers

Steveb

Not sure. Im guessing I tighten it to hard... It was super stuck when I removed the old one and required a lot of force. When installing the new one I just some muscle, but not nothing extra ordinary.... Apparently I was wrong. Anyone got the torqnumbers for it?

The lower bolt hole also got a crack, but I'm guessing thats from the vibrations due to the top part being broken...

Maybe the raised ring on the mounting face wasn't quite located in the hole ? there is enough clearance in the bolt holes for the register to be out of line so when it's tightened the starter will be at an slight angle which would cause this . Nice simple fix though , much better than a stripped ring gear etc.

cheers

Steveb

Well. Since the new one was broken and the old one didn't work. I moved some parts around and ended up with a semi new starter that works grate. I was also a bit more careful with the torque this time.

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpegimage7.jpeg