300tdi belt shredded at 500miles (about)

GW8IZR

So, according to the vin this 300tdi should have a crank pulley with lips and idlers without,, which it has.

The car with its new belt fitted about six weeks ago and certainly less than a few hundred miles ago, needed dragging back on a rope today.

Bent rods - broken rocker and belt

completely shredded.

Not sure what went wrong.

Edit - always had a pronounced Turbo whistle and been a bit down on power but runs fine for a couple of years with no problem really. Its a bit oily and done 170k miles , but I've seen worse :-)

Check the front casing where the idler bolts on I had a 200tdi that started taping not long after a belt change. The belt then snapped it turned out the casing had cracked pulsing of the pump was causing the idler to flex on its mounting hence the taping as it hit the front cover. This in turn shredded the belt it took me while to find it as at rest you could barely see the crack it was witness marks on the front cover that led me to find it. I replaced the casing etc and I believe the engine is still going strong in moose's racer.

Mike

Its not my car and we dont know when it last had a belt but brother in law has had it for a few years and its done many thousands of miles. What I do know is the old belt was spot on when it came off and the idler was not swapped- now I wouldn't have re used them but to be fair the bearings are perfect

( do it once do it right isn't in a farmers vocabulary- do it cheap is more often the case)

There is no evidence of rubbing that I can see but we only stripped it today then got distracted by other stuff. I think its very possible it was under or over tensioned

I wasn't there when it was done.

We will put a new belt on but this time round new idler. I need to work out what idler to order.

• 4 weeks later...

To follow up on this - it was pilot error.

Pulley was not properly seated when re fitted so whilst tension was ok the pulley / belt was not running true.

<speculated> This would have been picked up if the tension had been checked after revolving the crank as should be done.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

• Like 1